Strike water too cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have been brewing for quite a while but I have taken a bit of a break, anyway I brewed a couple months ago and when I filled the mash tun I switched on the element and for my two vessel system and added the grains, yes, added the grains to cold water, whats done is done so i went with it, now the beer tastes like bitter and kinda like burnt toast.
10 gallon
18 lbs 2 row
2 lbs carmel 40
mash @ 154 (sort of for this batch)
1 oz centennial @ 60
2 oz cascade @20 & @10
4 oz citra @ flameout
split into two big mouth bubblers each with one packet of US-05
fermented three weeks then kegged

I have two kegs of this and really looking to know what i didm, any ideas

So, this couple in our club brewed a Pastrami beer. No kidding, it tasted just like pastrami you'd put on a sandwich. They may have added some caraway seeds in it too.

Originally, they were after something else, some sort of Gose, but added something smoked, and things escalated. They kept adding more of this and that, and voila, there it is.
That keg visited quite a few events, and crazy enough a lot of people tried and kinda liked it. Definitely a unique, one of a kind beer you'd never see or taste again.

Half a lifetime ago I'm walking into this truck stop diner at a ferry port, waiting for the ferry to load. There's a big sign above the counter:
We burn all our toast! You may scrape it until the color you desire.

Just to give you a way out, maybe use it to your advantage. Be creative. Doesn't have to stay this way...

Back