Stress/Exhaustion and alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Being in academia, this time if year is always the most stressful for me: very long hours, plus 3 of 5 members of my family have spring birthdays, kids have a jillion things, etc.

To make a long story short, I'm highly stressed.

I've noticed recently that my body's alcohol tolerance seems way down: sometimes just one beer can make me feel buzzed and like I can barely stay awake. I had three over the course of the afternoon Saturday and I felt genuinely drunk. I laid down on the couch at one point and I swear the room was even spinning a couple times.

WTF? Is this normal?

Stress chemicals are processed by the liver, just as alcohol is. Since it is already running overtime to deal with the other problems, your body is just telling you this is a bad time to add to the load.

Maybe this is why the old saw about a young man's fancy and spring, all the stress makes for cheap dates!

I've had that twice in my life - First when I bought my first house right at the end when its the final contract signing - (in the UK it's then legally binding. The seller couldn't pull out because of a Gazump) and when I got divorced. It's your body telling you that Alcohol and adrenalin aren't a good mix. Leave out drinking alcohol until things settle down fully! Just Relax, DON'T have a homebrew........

I go through this every time I go on the road for work. I train lunch ladies how to use computers for a living.... yeah, talk about stressfull. I goto a bar while on the road (usually a micro-brewery if at all possible) and have 2-3 beers and find myself pretty drunk. While at home, I have 5-6 and feel only buzzed... intriguing

Back