strength of phosphoric acid 0.1?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
not sure if any of our chem experts are around now like @ajdelange @mabrungard etc. but i goofed at the LHBS recently.

was looking around for phosphoric and i grabbed the first bottle i saw. wasnt until i got home that i realized i had taken it from the wine chem section. its not rated by %, its listed as 0.1. been a long time since chem class but that's molarity? or normality?

(christ, this is sad. got admitted to berkeley as a chem engineer back when it was top 3 school. WTF)

in any case, if someone could tell me what ive got here it would be MUCH appreciated. i have a vague theory that its basically crap, not really strong enough to use, but would be nice to know for sure.

thanks

Im about 95% positive that what you have is the 10% Phosphoric solution, not the 85% (which its only sold in the 10 and the 85)

ugh. i figured it wasnt the "full" strength 85% stuff, but 10% is just kinda worthless.

can you post a picture of the label?

and I stand corrected, you can actually find it in many different %'s but the 10 and 85 is the typical

Well, if the 0.1 means 10%, then there is about 105g of acid per liter. 105g per liter is 1.07M. 0.1M is 9.8g/L which is very weak. If it's 0.1N, then it's even weaker again - equivalent to a 0.033M solution or about 3.3g/L. So 0.1M and 0.1N would be close to useless for brewing, and I'd suspect winemaking as well (but I know nothing about making wine). So I suspect it's 10%.

Last edited:
Back