strawberry wine not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza001

Reaction score
hello folks,

I've currently got a strawberry wine going, and I'm at the clearing stage.
However nothing is happening, it has been a week now and not even a hint of anything happening.

I used Vinclear finings and it says that it will take about a week to clear.

Does anyone have any ideas what I may have done wrong or do I just need to leave it longer.

This is the recipe that I followed by the way

1.8kg fully ripe strawberries
1kg sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
1 teaspoon pectolase
Gervin Sauternes yeast
1/2 teaspoon tannin
1/4 teaspoon Minavit nutrient
Campden tablets
Finings
Water to 1 gallon

1. Remove the stalks and hulls, wash the fruit and place in a clean white bucket. Pour on 5 pints of boiling water and then mash the strawberries with a plastic spoon.

2. Cover the bucket, allow the contents to cool right down and then add the pectolase, citric acid, nutrient, tannin and the yeast. Cover the bucket loosely with the lid and leave in a warm place, 18°C-22°C for 3 days stirring daily.

3. Strain the juice into a sterilised demijohn, only pressing the pulp lightly. Dissolve the sugar in 1 pint of boiling water, allow to cool and add to the demijohn. The demijohn should not be more than 7/8ths full to minimise waste from excess frothing. Fit an airlock and continue to ferment, topping up the jar with a little cooled boiled water when the vigorous frothing dies down.

4. When the fermentation stops and the wine is dry syphon it off the sediment into another sterilised demijohn and add one crushed campden tablet.

5. After 2 weeks rack again, adding 1 more campden tablet and the finings. When the wine is crystal clear it can be syphoned into bottles and corked.

By the way it is on top of the fridge in the kitchen, so it is at room temperature.

Thanks in advance.

Move it to a cooler area and give it more time, you'll be fine.

Back