Strawberry wine must color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3luemang0

Reaction score
I am trying my first experimental gallon batch of strawberry wine. I went with 4 lbs of strawberries for the one gallon. I put the must in a 2 gal stainless steel cooking pot. Then added the potassium metabisfite and pectic enzyme. I put in about double the potassium metabisulfite measurement (maybe 1/8 tsp if I recall correctly), which is still quite a bit under 1 campden tablet. I came back 24 hours later and the red strawberry color is all but gone. It looks more like a light peach color now. The pulp is all in a pouch sitting in the must also. Is this normal or do you think I have oxidized the heck out of it? As is it tasted like very weak strawberry. Taste is a lot better after adding the dissolved sugar.

Metabisulfite can often take the color out of wine, I've seen it turn strawberry brownish often. Breathe easy and give it time .

Back