Strawberry Rhubarb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjnowak

Reaction score
Thought this would make a nice combo, just wasn't sure what type of beer to add it to. Was thinking a lighter ale or blonde of some sort to let the flavors really come through. Ideas or thoughts?

Also, anyone have any experience with rhubarb and beer combo? Was thinking maybe just cook it down and add to secondary. Any other advise here?

I would think a Lambic style sour would work well. I've never used rhubarb so hopefully someone else can give you some pointers.

I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

This could be interesting, and would give me something besides pies to use our rhubarb in. Tagging this thread.
I've been sitting here wondering what kind of beer i'd like strawberry and rhubarb in, and what comes to my mind is a belgian, maybe a tripple, but something that's not going to overpower the rhubarb flavour.
I think the sweet of the strawbeery could work with a blonde, but i'm not sure the tart/sourness of the rhubarb would be as nice in it.

No personal homebrew experience, but a local micro Half Acre did a Firkin of their Kölsh with strawberry rhubarb added. Strawberry rhubarb is my favorite pie and this beer was very tasty.

I've made several batches of Strawberry / Rhubarb wine in the past. Very potent stuff. But never made beer out of it.

Update. Went with an American Wheat extract recipe as it seemed to be a little more mild and hopefully let the flavors shine through. Put about a pound of rhubarb in pot with 2 pounds strawberries and 1cup sugar. Strawberries have off quite a bit of water, so I reduced down the mixture a bit. Krausen had a nice red tint to it and yeast seemed to be going fine. I will transfer to secondary this week and plan to add the same strawberry/rhubarb mixture again (depending on how it tastes first). Will keep the updates coming.

What an awesome idea!! I've got an American wheat sitting in the primary and I have been struggling to decide what to add. Considered raspberry, but already have a Raspberry wheat from Mt. Town brewery and some delicious Rubaeus from Founders given as a gift.

Will be watching this closely!

I tried a rhubarb only blonde a few years back. It's in a thread somewhere on here, and here are my notes:
"I decided to make a small 2 gallon test batch as a Brew-in-a-Bag session.

The tartness of the rhubarb really came through at the rhubarb-to-wort ratio I used (1.5 lb:2 gal). It almost had a Belgian-ish taste about it, and it was NOT from the yeast. The honey malt was a little too much for me - slightly cloying for my palette and didn't provide the "sweetness" in balance. I'd definitely back off on that element next time closer to 2-3%.

I like the citrus-y taste of raw rhubarb, and was hoping that would be accentuated by a Centennial addition at 20 minutes (only addition). In this version of the beer, I'm not sure the hopping matters much since the other two elements I mentioned above are more prominent. Overall, this was a decent start on a beer that I will try again. More wheat malt, less honey malt, and perhaps slightly smaller proportion of rhubarb (3 lb per 6 gal?) next time.

Recipe:
Type: All Grain
Date: 9/4/2011
Batch Size: 2.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.41 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 % (BIAB)

Ingredients
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.58 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 31.19 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 20.79 %
5.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.44 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.20 %] (20 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
1.5 lbs chopped, par-boiled and frozen rhubarb

OG: 1.052 SG
FG: 1.011 SG
Bitterness: 17.3 IBU
Est Color: 6.5 SRM

Fermented at 65 degrees for first 4 days, slowly raised to 70 degrees for days 5-8. Racked beer onto thawed rhubarb on Day 8. Bottled on Day 18. Carbonated to 3.0 volumes."

Back