Stratification after using gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyMunk

Reaction score
I have a California common in secondary in a mini fridge whose temp is about 39 F plus/minus about 3 degrees or so, which is about as cold as I can get it. Last night I added gelatin (1/2 tsp dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water), and this evening I'm seeing a clear layer about 3" thick, with the rest appearing hazy below. I'm not sure if this was there before, but was just wondering if anyone else has seen this after adding gelatin when your temps were not quite in "cold crash" territory, and whether there's a way to remedy this (besides giving it time). I can post my recipe if it helps.
IMG_20180405_195016259.jpg

That's kind of what I figured. I've only ever added gelatin straight to the keg before, so this is my first time observing the "settling".

How long it takes depends on how much gelatin you used. I set my carboy out overnight (cold) and bring it in in the morning. By the third day it was gone (fallen out).

How long it takes depends on how much gelatin you used. I set my carboy out overnight (cold) and bring it in in the morning. By the third day it was gone (fallen out).
How much gelatin would you use for a 5 gallon batch? The "haze" level in mine hasn't changed in about 12 hours, and I'm wondering if I should use more gelatin.

How much gelatin would you use for a 5 gallon batch? The "haze" level in mine hasn't changed in about 12 hours, and I'm wondering if I should use more gelatin.

Off the top of my head...1 tsp to 3/4 cup of pre-boiled water. I add the gelatin when it gets below 140F. Do not add gelatin to hot water. I've read it makes Jello.

Back