Strange sensation noticed while dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

today I dry hopped my first brew. When I was adding the hops I wanted to get a good whiff of my beer so i brought my face down into the bucket and breathed in. I am not sure why but doing that burned my nose, much the way smelling methanol or ammonia does. my roommate also dry hopped his beer today and we noticed the same phenomenon with his beer. Both beers smell completely normal though (like beer). Has anyone experienced this or have an explanation for it?

Thanks

You're smelling the pure CO2 blanket covering the beer after fermentation. Pure CO2 is heavier than air, so it hovers over your beer after it ferments for a while until it dissipates. It's just a good sign the fermentation did well.

You're getting a face full of CO2.

Ambient levels in the atmosphere are measured in hundreds of parts per million, but it's just about all that's in the headspace of your fermentor after a vigorous fermentation.

awesome. this happened to me as well. thought i was dying for a moment, then the burning in my nose and eyes stopped.

Lol. A few months back I asked the same question here. I thought my beer was messed up. Smelled like chemicals. Glad to hear lots of people do this.

I love the 'smell' of CO2 burn. There's nothing else like it, and I know my beer's fermenting! I ferment in a chest freezer and at the height of fermentation the entire freezer is full of CO2, so sticking your head inside is good for a noseful.

Bet ya don't do that again! Lol-breathe in deep enough and you can pass out and drop your head in the bucket!

Back