Strange sensation drinking carbing apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverie

Reaction score
I made my first batch of apfelwein a little over two months ago and it came out great. I split the five gallons in half so that I could have a few bottles of wine ready to go and a primed batch capped in beer/sparkling cider bottles. The sparkling apfelwein is nowhere near ready to sparkle, but, wanting to observe the progress of my brews at every point in their making, I cracked a 12oz open at 1 week of carbing and now again at 2 weeks of carbing.

There's some bite like a flat soda but there's an even more noticeable burn above my stomach. It's not really heartburn but there's this kinda... pressure, or maybe sharpness? Just wondering if anyone else has been stupid enough to try unfinished things and experienced similar results, and if they know what the cause is?

I try unfinished things all the time...never experienced a burn above my stomach. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. Interesting.

Back