Carbonic acid/Keg Bite possible in UNDER-carbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junk-Man

Reaction score
I know that there's a lot of threads with similar keg bite problems (i usually like to lurk 'n learn), but haven't found anything that addresses my issue specifically.

So, I just kegged my first batch (virgin-run of Biermuncher's Centenniel Blonde, good results/flavour prior to kegging) but after about 12 hours in the keg it's got a harsh (and only slightly mettalic) bitterness

Steps I took prior to kegging
cleaned the keg (overnight soak with oxy, thorough rinsing)

Tested with water
while I was waiting for the beer to ferment I Crank and Shake force-carbed a couple gallons of water and tasted , made Italian sodas etc (for science) Soda water tasted fine

When beer was ready
Starsan cleansed keg
purged with CO2
siphoned to keg, capped and connected at "serving pressure" (the degrees on my regulator are strange/nonstandard but I set it at a reasonable pouring pressure from the tap that I had determined when I was playing with the soda water)

so, this morning when I woke up I wanted to try the tap, knowing that it wouldn't be fully carbed. the first few ounces were bad/warm due to the lines, but even the second pull gave beer that was still bitter and less enjoyable than the un-carbonated beer I had tasted previously from the bucket.

So, what I'm asking is, isit possible to have bad Co2 related flavours in beer that isn't even fully carbed yet? And how should I proceed? DWHAHB? (should it balance out on it's own?)

forgot to mention, I kegged at 68f and connceted to gas in my keggerator (set at 35F) and left overnight

you think that could be all?
So it's likely to level off after the first few pints hopefully? Thanks for the response

Just going with the odds. You didn't mention filtering or cold-crashing prior to kegging, so your freshly chilled keg is certainly going to drop yeast to the bottom, right where the dip tube sits.

Otoh, the odds of getting carbonic bite after applying some low CO2 pressure for a mere 12 hours just seems pretty low to me, especially as you're drawing beer from the bottom of the keg - the opposite end of the beer column from the CO2.

That all said, do let us know how this story plays out :)

Cheers!

Give it way more time,12 hours kegging is nothing and even more so for set it and forget it.My guess would be "yeast bite" or dry hop bitterness.Let it sit without pulling a beer a few days (not easy to do).I would bet the farm youll have a murky looking first and second pour..whats in those pours is most likely what your tasting

Okay thanks guys. Confused the hell out of me (thought I had used fairly good process)
I'll let ya know in a couple days how it turns out

So it turned out fine. My regulator DOES tend to overcarb a bit, I think I'm gonna have to replace it. but what I was tasting initially was just the yeast bite.

Back