Strange place for beer kits....or not!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
Walked into Bed Bath & Beyond with SWMBO....right smack dab in the middle of the aisle on the kitchen side was a display with beer kits! No idea of the volume..guessing a gallon or less...but two styles...IPA and Wheat. And they were selling flight kits (4 or 5 little glasses with paddle and "tasting guidelines") and other stuff for beer. Shelf looked about 70% sold......

How mainstream have we become;) Personally I was tickled to death since I'm trying to start a LHBS and this would just help.

Instructions on the kit box were pretty simple....wonder if anything inside said "watch for boil over" or "monitor temperature" or such.....at $30 they ought to tell you more!

Bed Bath actually got me into this, they were selling Mr Beer kits several years ago.

I might have to check out the taster paddles, can never have too many tasters.

Wife got me a kit from there almost a year to the day...brooklyn brewshop is the brand, 1 gal equipment kit. I was hooked; already moved up to all-grain, milling, and kegging!!

I'm seeing beer making kits everywhere these days. I even saw one at barns and noble's! I'm all for people learning about homebrewing!!

Bed, Bath & Beyond used to sell Mr. Beer, so they've apparently switched.

Does it represent mainstreaming of homebrewing? I don't know. Christmas brings out a lot of weird gifts, a lot of novelty stuff that ends up in garage sales. It's one time when stores aren't necessarily trying to fill existing needs as they are trying to create them.

There's a guy near my home that has a small garden shop but is a home brewer and he's started to sell more and more homebrewing supplies. Kind of expensive but little by little, he's growing and still selling garden and plant supplies.

Haven't seen HB stuff at our Giant eagle yet. But I sure would love to get my book in paperback on those same shelves at BBB!

About a month ago I noticed some of the Canadian Tire stores in my area had Mr. Beer kits on the shelf for $39.99. If I find one on the shelf in January for $19.99 maybe I'll grab one.

Farm supplies around here have "MB Bottle Brew", 4x 2L bottles that you ferment in, then drink from...

^ Sounds like something someone shipped craigtube before? When I first started, K-Mart carried Cooper's stuff. Good prices too. That didn't last long though...darn it. Cooper's cans are also good added to a PM.

Farm supplies around here have "MB Bottle Brew", 4x 2L bottles that you ferment in, then drink from...

Are you from the Maritimes? There is a CO-OP Country Store about a ten minute walk from my house that I get a flyer in the mail for. Couple of weeks back the flyer listed some 2 litre "Pop bottle" beer kit's for five bucks each. I figured it's beer related so even if it sucks the experiment would be worth five dollars. I think there was a Canadain Blonde and a Mexican Cerveza (sp?) listed.

When I got to the store the girl at the counter looked confused when I asked if there were any beer kits left. I figured maybe she was new so I showed her my flyer. Turns out that the flyer was for the entire Atlantic Provinces but not all products were carried by all stores. Cheapass way of advertising if you ask me but there you go.

I love how they make the krausen look like the refreshing head on a finished beer. Riiiight. I guess they wouldn't sell much if they showed the crusty nastiness that actually occurs.

True enough, but looks better than Mr Beer kit to me. No offense meant to anyone that uses them. But never heard of Shift3, beyond working it!...:mug:

Are you from the Maritimes? There is a CO-OP Country Store about a ten minute walk from my house that I get a flyer in the mail for. Couple of weeks back the flyer listed some 2 litre "Pop bottle" beer kit's for five bucks each. I figured it's beer related so even if it sucks the experiment would be worth five dollars. I think there was a Canadain Blonde and a Mexican Cerveza (sp?) listed.

When I got to the store the girl at the counter looked confused when I asked if there were any beer kits left. I figured maybe she was new so I showed her my flyer. Turns out that the flyer was for the entire Atlantic Provinces but not all products were carried by all stores. Cheapass way of advertising if you ask me but there you go.
Ontario. Yeah advertiser's save a lot of manpower just making 1 flyer even if it leads to a few issues. I've been burned once or twice looking in vein for a good deal.

I've seen those bottle kits too, would guess the same company. I'm fairly skeptical of any brew line that's only colour of beer is yellow.
I like the IDEA of them because it's so simple but man... It's like a "build your own car" kit with only Pinto's or Pacer's to choose between.

I love how they make the krausen look like the refreshing head on a finished beer. Riiiight. I guess they wouldn't sell much if they showed the crusty nastiness that actually occurs.

You mean your beer doesn't look like that 1 gal carboy while fermenting? Mine certainly does, you must be doing something wrong.

Back