Strange flavor in my first two brews, is StarSan the Culprit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy4355

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch about 3 months ago, an "Carribou Slobber" brown ale from Northern Brewer. Everything went pretty well for my first batch, moved it to secondary after two weeks, bottled it after two more. Once i cracked open the first bottle the beer looked great, nicely carbonated, not much of an aroma, but it had a strange off flavor. Its hard to describe, its kind of tasted like seltzer water, not overpowering but left a strange aftertaste on the tip of my tounge. I just figured it was just because it was my first batch. A few weeks later i started my second batch, the "Big Honking Stout" kit from northern brewer. I was excited about this beer from the beginning, i decided not to move this one to secondary to see if i noticed a difference. After a month and a half i took some gravity readings and they were stable, and the un carbonated wort smelled and tasted great. I went ahead and added my priming solution 1/2 cup of brown sugar and water and bottled. Its been three weeks and I cracked a couple open and they have the same strange off flavor. The beer tastes good but this flavor is still there. Since the beer tasted perfect before bottling i think there is something up with my bottling process. When i sanitized my bottles i soaked them in starsan, and pulled them one by one out of the solution, dumped them out and then filled and capped it. Is it possible that I am not draining all of the star san out of the bottle and this is causing these strange flavors. I was thinking about getting one of those bottle drying racks but they are quite expensive. How long should i let the bottles dry once i take them out of the sanitizer and fill them up with the beer. Could it be that I am using brown sugar? Anyone else have a similar experience? I have a chocolate stout fermenting right now and I really hope I don't have the same problem.

It shouldn't be the starsan...could be a myriad of other things. Can you describe the off-flavor?

I often rack to FV, SV, or Keg with a lot of starsan foam...never tasted anything off.

If it tastes great pre-bottling, then you add brown sugar and bottle...I'm guessing that's where it's coming from ;)

If its a sharpish acidic type flavor its probably over carbonated. Its called 'carbonic bite'. Usually caused by kits having a generic amount of priming sugar added which can be far too much for some brews.

It's not the StarSan. Priming with brown sugar will definitely change the taste of the beer. For some recipes (and some palates) it might work well, but I suggest priming with corn sugar unless you are trying to experiment.

It's not the StarSan. Priming with brown sugar will definitely change the taste of the beer. For some recipes (and some palates) it might work well, but I suggest priming with corn sugar unless you are trying to experiment.

This is excellent advice. Do give the bottles some time to age, but the priming sugar may well be your culprit.

Odds of it being Starsan are almost unmeasurable.

I agree with everyone else that Star San should not be your problem. I always use it and never ever ever let it dry before filling bottles because it is only sanitizing when it is still wet. Try priming with corn or plain table sugar and see if that is the culprit. It may be a good idea to do a bleach water soak of your siphon and bottling equipment followed by a good rinse and Star San to make sure there aren't any nasties in your equipment too.

Thanks I'll give corn sugar a try. I used the priming sugar calculator on northern brewer and even tried to back it off a little. I think it is that carbonic bite, that is the way I would describe it. Is there anything I can do to get rid of that flavor, let it sit out for a while before I drink it?

Thanks I'll give corn sugar a try. I used the priming sugar calculator on northern brewer and even tried to back it off a little. I think it is that carbonic bite, that is the way I would describe it. Is there anything I can do to get rid of that flavor, let it sit out for a while before I drink it?

Carbonic bite will mellow with time.

You can help soften some of it by letting the glass sit after you pour into it. How long depends on how over carbonated it actually is.

Not being able to adjust carbonation is just one of the reasons why I'm glad I don't bottle carbonate anymore. :D

Would you say it's a almost plastic band aid flavor? Try using bottled water for your next brew you could be tasting the result of choline in your tap water.

I used bottled water for both batches. It has a metallic sharp taste, sounds like the carbonic bite. It mellows out a little if I let the beer sit after I pour it. It's already been three weeks in bottles and the taste is still strong. I guess I'll just sit on it a few more.

ozzy4355 said:
I used bottled water for both batches. It has a metallic sharp taste, sounds like the carbonic bite. It mellows out a little if I let the beer sit after I pour it. It's already been three weeks in bottles and the taste is still strong. I guess I'll just sit on it a few more.

Letting it breathe after opening the bottle is the treatment. The bite likely won't disappear in sealed bottles

You mentioned that this was your first batch? Did you happen to use a brand new copper immersion chiller or did you use an ice bath?

What kind of bottled water did you use?? There's a DIY water filter in the DIY edition of BYO that uses the Culligan shower filter element in it. I actually made a modified version of this, using a straight section of pipe and two of the elements (available on Amazon for pretty cheap). I used two to ensure that the water would be better filtered. Depending on how your tap water is, you could use that for your water moving forward. But, if it's high in elements you don't want, then you'll need to either buy water, or get a better filter system. I've used a two stage, under the sink, filter before with great results (filters all the bad things we don't want in the water, out). I plan on installing one to my brew stand once I get one. Or maybe just in close proximity of where I'll be brewing next (moving very soon now).

Still, if it fades as the beer rests in the glass, as carbonation dissipates, then it really could simply be over carbonated beer with the bite showing through.

BTW, I didn't have this happen when I was using an IC to chill my wort. I've long since moved to a plate chiller, which has even less chance of issue. :D

The water I used was called primo, I just got a 5 gallon jug of it that you would normally put in an office water cooler. I'm pretty over zealous about cleaning everything with Pbw after I brew and before the next batch and give it a good soak in starsan so I don't think it's infected. Any recommendations for corn sugar brand. I really want to get this next batch right, its not fun to brew beer that you don't really enjoy drinking.

The water I used was called primo, I just got a 5 gallon jug of it that you would normally put in an office water cooler. I'm pretty over zealous about cleaning everything with Pbw after I brew and before the next batch and give it a good soak in starsan so I don't think it's infected. Any recommendations for corn sugar brand. I really want to get this next batch right, its not fun to brew beer that you don't really enjoy drinking.

LD Carlson Corn sugar is what most LHBS sell and probably the big online stores, too. White table sugar is absolutely fine, too. Just make sure you're using the right amount per a calculator. You need to know how many volumes you want for the style, and how much beer you're carbing. Each sugar varies in the amount needed.

Can you buy corn sugar at the store. I tried to find it the other day but all I saw was regular white sugar, what about priming with cane sugar

Spring water is soft water. It does not contain (as much) minerals that are beneficial to yeast. Also, spring water will have a lower pH level (more acidic). I had similar tastes from my first beer batch with Mr Beer and I used spring water (and table sugar for priming). I have used city water (and corn sugar) since and not tasted that acidic taste. I don't think it's because of the corn sugar though. I believe it's because of the missing yeast nutrients and maybe the water pH.

Can you buy corn sugar at the store. I tried to find it the other day but all I saw was regular white sugar, what about priming with cane sugar

I've never seen corn sugar at a grocery store, but all homebrew stores (online or brick and mortar) sell it. I use cane sugar (table sugar) for most of my brews though. Some will say it leaves a cidery taste, but i've never experienced that.

Back