Straining / Second fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRC1985

Reaction score
Hey guys...About to start my 2nd brew this coming weekend(hopefully).
I am planning on brewing a raspberry red-ale w/Midwest Ingredient Kit.

The directions from the kit 'recommend' using a second fermenter, however, I only have one, and even If I had a 2nd, I would not know when / why to use it.
Is it really that Necessary to have?

Also, what are the Pros / Cons of straining your wort while transferring to your carboy??
My first batch had a lot of residual residue, and I was wondering if that was something I needed to keep in the carboy during fermentation, or if I could remove it prior to pitching the yeast?

Thanks all.

From what I have read it is not necessary to rack to a secondary. It generally serves to clarify(clear up) your beer. With fruit beers, which I am making now, I will rack to a secondary with fruit in it just to get the most out of my fruit. Plus, fruit on top of trub makes for a real nasty looking fermenter.

If you have one use it. And by use it I mean when your beer has "finished" fermenting in the primary. Generally 7-10 days, you siphon over to your secondary. You can leave it in the primary for a long as you want. 7-10 days is just a general idea of when fermentation will slow.

I strain my wort the best I can. I use my grain bag because my funnel strainer gets stopped up so easily. I wouldnt fight it. It will all settle in the fermenter with the yeast cake. FYI, from now on, I am going to use hop bags instead of putting them directly in the kettle.

The directions from the kit 'recommend' using a second fermenter, however, I only have one, and even If I had a 2nd, I would not know when / why to use it.
Is it really that Necessary to have?
NO - MANY PEOPLE ONLY USE A PRIMARY FOR 3-4 WEEKS.

Also, what are the Pros / Cons of straining your wort while transferring to your carboy??
MAKE SURE YOUR STRAINING DEVICE IS SANITIZED. DON'T REMOVE THE FRUIT IF THE IDEA IS TO HAVE THE BREW INFUSED WITH THE FRUIT.

My first batch had a lot of residual residue, and I was wondering if that was something I needed to keep in the carboy during fermentation, or if I could remove it prior to pitching the yeast?

YOU CAN STRAIN OUT INITIALLY OR LEAVE IT THERE. SOME THE FORMER; SOME THE LATTER.

Thanks all.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Brent

The kit is providing me with a Raspberry extract...Should I be skeptical of having to use an extract vs the actual fruit itself?
I am assuming the flavor from the extract will not be as colorful as the fuit?
If the extract will tarnish the flavor I may be better off adding the raspberries in with the wort?

I wouldnt be leery of the extract. That is what I am using plus a bit of fruit.

My take on extract:

The extract is like a kick in the pants for your flavor. Many times when you add fruit the end result is a very lightly flavored beer. It takes a lot of fruit to flavor 5 gallons of brew..
Have you tasted your extract? Taste it. That is somewhat how it will affect the beer.

Another reason we use ale pales & the Cooper's micro brew FV. Plenty of room to use a large,fine mesh strainer to get the grainy/hoppy bits strained out. But it also is a great aerator for the chilled wort & top off water.

I have never tried those kits, but from what I understand they're good and set up properly. I would NOT worry about the extract.

A few months ago I added raspberries to a pale ale. It was a nice red colour and turned out well, but it took a lot of raspberries. I think the extract will be as good or better.

Brent

I was thinking that the extracts would be easier,& more economical myself. Maybe even more sanitary?...

I would think so. When I made mine I made a small batch (1 gallon) just in case it didn't turn out and I wasted the beer AND the raspberries.

That being said, if I were to make the beer again, I would make it a full batch and buy frozen raspberries again.

Brent

You all gave me some needed peace of mind!
I will be using the raspberry extract, instructions say to place the extract in the bottling bucket at the time of racking. That should be quick and easy.
Going for 5 gallons here. Something everyone should be able to enjoy (I love a good red-ale, and the gf / mother will love the raspberry flavor).

Thanks for the advice guys, I will be sure to post back here upon completion to let you know how it turned out.

Cheers.

They do say thawed,frozen fruit produces more juice. I know this to be true from making my blueberry "indian pudding" for thanksgiving. It's an old recipe from my Apache ancestors that even used choke cherries.
So using frozen blueberries def worked better,thawed before adding to the "boil". lolz...just realized making that pudding the old way is a lot like making a full volume wort.

ill take a taste test and let you know.
My guess is that the powder form will have sugars, that would slightly dilute the tartness of the raspberry.

Back