Straight Pole Trellis System using tree and a post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keppybrau

Reaction score
What is a good line to use across the top of a straight trellis system?
I have Mason's Line going from a 12' pole next to the shed, to a tree on the other side of the yard.
How do I keep tension on all the lines to keep them from pulling the top line down like it is in the picture?
I'm also using Mason's line for all the vertical strings. I used some lighter, more natural lines in the past, in a different part, and a wind storm took them down.

any ideas for me?

Thanks

strTrellis.jpg

0508150640a.jpg

0508150642.jpg

0504150656a.jpg

I ran from a tree to a pole, although it's only about 15 feet. I used thin braided metal wire which is like 30 cents a foot at my local hardware store. If using this or string they make these things which are meant to help put tension on a line like this. They have a threaded closed hook on one end, and an open threaded hook on the other end, the middle part turns to tighten or loosen the whole deal and put tension on the line. it should be right around the wire/rope. Tell a worker at your local hardware store (hopefully not home-deport they are idiots) what you want to do and they will point you to these things which i can't remember what they are called.

^ they are called turnbuckles.
As far as what type of line, I would suggest the plastic coated cable commonly used for dog runs. Mason's line will not stand up to the elements and wouldn't be good for supporting weight or tension.

Stainless cable or galvanized, would be my first and second choices, if you can get some that does not make you blanch at the cost. Clothesline cable only if the run is pretty short.

Figure 35 pounds per bine, plus double or more in the wind, as far as loads. The strength required is really quite high.

I liked the arrangement someone posted here using a hand crank winch to tension and lower the top line. If you anchor to the tree with a wide belt, well padded with some planks to reduce the damage to the tree, then put a pulley on the pole, you have a lowerable system that will allow you to repair or replace lines without having to scale the heights.

I went low-tech on mine. Simply planted a pole about 15 feet tall at each of my bines, and ran strings down. But I have no neighbors to complain, and I get the poles here on the property for free.

TeeJo

^ they are called turnbuckles.
As far as what type of line, I would suggest the plastic coated cable commonly used for dog runs. Mason's line will not stand up to the elements and wouldn't be good for supporting weight or tension.

Thanks for the aha moment! I dont think i've ever had to think about what they are called, I just know where they are at my local hardware store. :)

Latest posts

Back