Stove or one eyed burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan0186

Reaction score
So all I have at home is an older electric stove top. I was planning on starting my brew tomorrow but a friend of mine was saying that my stove may not cut it. I sure don't want to start it if the stove wont work. Should I go and buy a one eyed gas burner and tank for my wort boiling or should I stick it out on the stove?

Much to my wife's dismay I use our electric stove. Clean up sucks but you can make beer.

I was actually talking to a guy tonight that claimed his electric stove was unable to boil a full 5 gallons, but I can do it. Just take your pot, fill it up and put a lid on it, see if it can boil. Once I get myself to the boil I take off the lid and carry on as usual. You can always just test it with normal ol water

Of course I would love nothing better than have a propane and do it outside. Its a very long and tight brewday in my kitchen,

This. Test to see what your stove is capable of. When I first started I was doing partial-volume extract, and each brew session I would increase the overall water volume. I was lucky that I was able to do full-volume boils. If you find you are unable to do that, no problem, just adjust your top-off water to meet the intended volume.

JRapp said:
I was actually talking to a guy tonight that claimed his electric stove was unable to boil a full 5 gallons, but I can do it. Just take your pot, fill it up and put a lid on it, see if it can boil. Once I get myself to the boil I take off the lid and carry on as usual. You can always just test it with normal ol water

Of course I would love nothing better than have a propane and do it outside. Its a very long and tight brewday in my kitchen,

I have brewed many batches on the electric stove top. Old metal elements, not the modern flush top style. Cleanup of the stove top is a pain with or without boil over. That said it does work fine for me and I use it during the winter occasionally if outside conditions are not condusive to brewing out in the open. I do enjoy brewing outdoors on my propane burner much more though. It is much more forgiving of the occasional boil over mess and more room to maneuver around as well as less heat buildup in the hot summertime.

Started out with an inexpensive fish fry propane burner which has served me well for the past couple of years. Just upgraded to a much sturdier and better built bayou classic unit which is much nicer and not too much more $. Caught one on sale for under $50.

Brewing? the coopers canadian blond only required "hot water to dissolve the syrups". You added the remainder of the 6 gallons of liquid afterwards mixing it. Instead of all day it only took a half hour or so. A good starter beer.

Sitting watching it ferment is my issue as a new brewer, as soon as it tastes good I want to drink it, thou the alcohol, or the flavor has not completed making yet. I moved it to the cola keg, dumped the gas off the top, and it sure does smell good. (smacking my fingers as I need to let it sit for two or four more weeks more)

I find 1500 watts, most large element eyes are not big enough for a 5 gallon boil, it will heat it, but not boil it, unless you were to insulate the pot to keep what heat you are putting in, then it will be slow to get there.

I went to a 4200 watt oven element under the keg cooker pot. Wrapped the keg with insulation, now a coozie wrap.

I was under the misconception that you can make a brew for $20.. you might if you grow some acres of barley or have a neighbour or relative which does. I want to learn the malting process too.

I do all grain. My normal rock bottom cost for a 5 gallon batch not inc propane has been running me under $20. The largest portion of the cost is the malt which has been going up quite a bit and if you don't live close to the distributor, plus the cost to ship or pickup. My last sack of 2 row ran me $55. Specialty grains about $1.75-$2.00 lb. I average about 1 lb per batch. Hops almost free if self grown or I purchase pellets by the pound on sale for around $10-$15 lb. I don't do IPA's so hop usage is minimal. I save and reuse my yeast.
Of course there are equipment costs but most equipment lasts many many batches if not continually upgraded.

Compared to a couple of bucks a bottle give or take for store bought craft beer, or $4-$7 a pint for bar poured craft beer........still a whole lot cheaper.........and a whole lot more fun.

Brewing? the coopers canadian blond only required "hot water to dissolve the syrups". You added the remainder of the 6 gallons of liquid afterwards mixing it. Instead of all day it only took a half hour or so. A good starter beer.

Sitting watching it ferment is my issue as a new brewer, as soon as it tastes good I want to drink it, thou the alcohol, or the flavor has not completed making yet. I moved it to the cola keg, dumped the gas off the top, and it sure does smell good. (smacking my fingers as I need to let it sit for two or four more weeks more)

I find 1500 watts, most large element eyes are not big enough for a 5 gallon boil, it will heat it, but not boil it, unless you were to insulate the pot to keep what heat you are putting in, then it will be slow to get there.

I went to a 4200 watt oven element under the keg cooker pot. Wrapped the keg with insulation, now a coozie wrap.

I was under the misconception that you can make a brew for $20.. you might if you grow some acres of barley or have a neighbour or relative which does. I want to learn the malting process too.

I went and borrowed a gas burner from my grandparents house today. I figured I would do this first batch on it and then test the stove later on. Gonna be a good day to just sit out and smoke some cigars with the guys and knock back a few while we brew!

Same advice if you have a drippy faucet !! I will be here all week! Tip your waitstaff! 2 drink minimum!! Try the veal it's great!!!

Keep your eyes open for a "cheap turkey fryer" on craigslist.

They do more than cook turkey. There are fools that buy them each year and then sell them for "beer money". Just like hunting rifles, tree stands, 4wds etc..

I got a burner and a gas control valve "extra here".. I bought it new thou.. Can't remember what I got in it. I'm pretty hooked on electric, inside where the ac is on.. and.. I can sit and look at the keezer. I may post it later, I got so much extra junk.. too much good stuff is junk. when you open a closet and things fall for five minutes.. well.

If you have a "quick fix" for the cheap brew, please pm, or email it to me. See, I got these buddies that come around at times, power drinkers.. and if I only have the "good stuff". well after one or two, they'd drink swamp water if it had alcohol in it.

My first batch took over an hour to get a good boil going on the cook top, second batch, I bought a fish frying kit from bass Pro that included the propane burner base, I think I got for for $24 after using a coupon, and it had 2.5 gallons boiling within 10 minutes.

The weather was great, and didn't have to deal with the wife while brewing.

After a year and a half of doing 3 gallon boils on my kitchen stove( with an occasional full volume boil using two pots), I went ahead and ordered the turkey fryer/7 gallon pot combo from Bass Pro Shop that someone posted about on the forum about a month ago. $50 for both(plus $8.95 shipping). Arrived in 4 days and looks pretty good. Assembled fairly easily. I conditioned the pot and plan on breaking in my 1st batch on Monday. Now my wife won't be able to complain about "that smell" anymore(I'm sure I'll give her other reasons to complain)

Back