Stout on CO2 - Either overcarbed or won't pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
I have a stout on CO2 as I've not yet got a beer gas regulator and tank set up. I had it at about 5psi for a few days and it was overcarbed, almost like a pale ale level of carbonation. I turned the gas down to about 1-2psi which is realistically as low as I can go on my regulator, and the beer is a trickle. I've taken more and more out of the line until it's really as short as I can get it (my kegs are about 4-5 feet from my taps), and I've knocked the carbonation out of it so it's now tasting a lot better, but it is pouring so slowly it's ridiculous? At the moment I have the gas off and just turn it on at a slightly higher psi each time to pour then off again so that it doesn't overbarb, but this is a bit of a pain.

I'm wondering if there's any way of pouring it at a reasonable speed but not overcarbing it again? If I was to set the psi to say 5 psi for a reasonable pour, but fit a stout nozzle (which I have in a drawer somewhere) would it knock the CO2 out of suspension as it pours or just give me a glass of foam?

Thanks in advance.

I carb my stouts to 1.4 units or about 6 psi carb on regulator and when I want to serve I set at 10 psi for the session. I bleed corney and reset to 6 psi afterwards (end of session) Yes you will get foam from a stout tap to knock C)2 out of beer. It will cascade and settle down if you rinse glass with cold water first. It works here. I also push back on my stout tap when I want less foaming. Have fun.

I carb my stouts to 1.4 units or about 6 psi carb on regulator and when I want to serve I set at 10 psi for the session. I bleed corney and reset to 6 psi afterwards (end of session) Yes you will get foam from a stout tap to knock C)2 out of beer. It will cascade and settle down if you rinse glass with cold water first. It works here. I also push back on my stout tap when I want less foaming. Have fun.

Thanks for your reply mate. 6 psi?! If I set mine to 6 psi I know I'll end up with a seriously overcarbed beer (for the style)? How highly carbonated does 6 psi get you? Cheers again

Back