Stout , nitrogen tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
So after having a wonderful creamy guinness in a pub last night, I have decided to buy a nitrogen set up for one of the taps on my kegerator. I am still a new extract brewer and have not brewed a stout or porter yet. I was wondering if anyone had a good extract recipe or kit that they have made that they could recommend. Also i have heard for stouts and porters a long secondary is important. How long do most people keep those in secondary? Thanks, T

Depends on the beer. Most stouts and porters you can get away without a secondary. Its only when its an imperial or oaked, added flavoring, etc that secondaries are strongly recommended. Ultimately it's up to you.

A big heavy stout might need a longer time to clear and for the flavors to meld. However, an Irish Dry Stout is a lite beer, with a fairly low gravity that you can turn around pretty quick. Mine usually gets 2 weeks from pitch to bottle. Sometimes I let it go a month if there are special reasons.

Nitro is good for far more than stouts and porters. You can use it for any English Ale when you want to replicate cask ale. Cask Ale purists might balk at this, but it was the reason the nitro system was implemented. I've had Pale Ales, Milds and Browns poured with Nitro and they were excellent.

Back