Stout Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinakajuice

Reaction score
I have a stout to brew up soon and was wondering what type of head I am going to get from my system. A while back I picked up a 4-tap kit from kegconnection's black friday sale. Made a keezer and I'm now in the beer. When I have the stout all kegged up and dispensing on my CO2 only, regular tap, what kind of head should my stout have? I really like how the Guiness at a bar's head is. I do not have a creamer tap, nor do I have a nitrogen tank or beer gas. Will the head be the same as say one of my ale's?

I dunno I find that the malt in the stout gives it a bit more of a creamier head than a lighter ale. You wouldn't agree?

Well, the short response is no. The Nitro tap is a HUGE factor in the head and mouthfeel of a draught Guinness. You really won't be able to replicate it authentically without it.

That being said, there are modifications you could make to the beer itself to help give you a bit of that creaminess. Flaked oats, for example, give you a nice smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Slightly undercarbonating the beer also helps to get that slick Guinness-like texture.

But no, it won't quite be the same as a Nitro tap line.

Back