Stout Fermentation Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
Hi . i'm doing Russian Imperial Stout Kit and OG was 1.066 and it went down to 1.034 just in the first 40 hours of the Fermentation and i can see it was very rough Fermentation . however for almost 4 days now it only move 2 point to 1.032 . according to the kit the final gravity should be 1.017

the yeast i used come with the kit and it was "Lallemand Windsor Yeast"
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/danstar-windsor-ale-dry-yeast
Is this normal for a yeast to start this rough Fermentation at the start and then drop dead all the sudden ?

What i should do ? i alredy have SafAle US-05 yeast do you think i should use it now in hope to kick off the Fermentation again ?

and OG was 1.066
OG of 66 for an RIS seems low. Can you confirm OG of 66?

Russian Imperial Stout Kit
Who sells the kit? Extract? all-grain?

In either case, this (link)

Windsor does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose units).
Maltotriose is present in wort in an average 10-15% of all malt worts. The result will be fuller body and residual sweetness in beer. Be advised to adjust mash temperatures according to desired result.
may be a factor in what you are seeing.

Tilts are wonderful for seeing the pace of fermentation and letting you know when FG is steady. They’re also pretty accurate on OG. They are not reliable for FG — a little bit of yeast glop gets on the device, now it’s weighted differently, and the readings are all wrong. (Case in point: sometimes during vigorous fermentation, the SG actually goes up with a Tilt.)

Back