Stout Faucet Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
OK, I picked up a real Guinness Stout faucet a while back from a friend along with a corny of his Guinness clone. It has the adjustable restricter knob on it.

Any way, I hook up the keg to BeerGas and set the regulator to 25 psi and pour a pint. I get nothing but foam. I dial it up and down and still get nothing but a pint of foam. It's pretty and creamy, but still foam. Right now I fill a glass and stick it in the fridge and come back a few minutes later and I have a half pint of stout with nice lacing on the glass. I add some more and repeat.

I want this to work like the Guinness faucets I've seen in pubs where you don't have much foam and you have the wonderful cascading effect that a draught stout is known for.

Any ideas from the Stout Faucet Experts out there?

How long is your bev line?

Also, how long has the beer been on gas? Because there is less C02 in the mix, it will take a little longer to carb up. Though I don't think this is the cause of your problem. But I could be wrong.

Are you sure the restrictor plate is still in the faucet? It should pour very slowly. You can turn the restrictor near the end to get a creamy head.

I want to get one of those also...I'm glad you're having difficulties so I learn from you...

I get a cascading build up and a nice head from O2...

I know it's a stupid comment, but did you purge the keg prior to setting it up for pouring?

Also, are you using O2 or nitrogen??

This may be a stupid question Ed, but was (is) your friends Guinness clone properly carbed with CO2? You have to carb a stout as you normally would do with a non-stout, disconnect the CO2 line when it is, then use the beer gas to dispense it only. I've made several stouts and they all behave as they should when dispensing with beer gas - they get that nice, cascading effect and that incredible, almost whip-cream like head - provided of course, they are properly carbed first. I also have my beergas regulator set at 30 psi.

Let us know how it works out !!!

- GL63

I thought the beer was overcarbed, so I vented the keg over a few days. Not as much foam. The beer line is my standard beer line my kegerator. About 6 feet long. I've dialed the adjustable restrictor up and down, no affect other than that it slows down the pour.

I'm going to let it settle for a few days and leave it on Beergas and see what happens. Thanks.

You can carb the keg up with beer gas, but it will take about 3 times longer to get carbed up due to less CO2 in the mix getting absorbed. The nitro doesn't absorb. I would hook it up to regular CO2 and carb it and just dispense with the beer gas.

Well, I like to carb by using my standard dispense pressure (10 psi ) on my newly kegged beers, be it a stout or non-stout. After 10 days, my beer is properly carbonated with the system I have, and no, I do not have seperate regulators for different styles, etc., etc., - all my beers - regardless of style - are all carbed the same, which suites me just fine.

In any event, with my stouts, after 10 days, the CO2 ( at 10 psi ) gets popped off and the beergas ( at 30 psi ) gets plugged on. After about 2 days of equalization, I pour perfect stouts, which have that awesome cascading effect for what seems like an eternity, and an incredibly creamy, delicious head. Man, I love stouts, especially if they have oatmeal in them !!!!!

- GL63

Back