Stout -> dark fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
I bought a “Bell’s Third Coast Old Ale”before because I’ve always been interested in making a barley wine. Wanted to try a commercial example. I hated it (still drank it all). It had this dark fruit character to it that I just couldn’t get past.

I’ve always raved about “Old Rasputin” RIS. Have purchased it several times. Recently I looked up clone recipes and was surprised to see a pound of crystal 120 along with a pound of carastan, but I purchased ingredients and brewed it anyways. It’s sitting in my fermenter waiting for a cold crash tomorrow.

Excited for my brew that’s coming up, I head to the store today and buy some old Rasputin. I’m sipping it as I type this post and the most dominant flavor I’m picking up now is dark fruit. I’ve never picked this up before but after seeing the ingredients it’s all I can taste now. I looked up tasting notes and dark fruit is one.

Anyone else pick this flavor as one of the most dominant in this beer? I hope it’s not ruined for me moving forward. What do you guys think of this dark fruit character?

I’m also looking for recommendations for good stouts that I can commonly find locally? (Porters even too) because tis the season for dark beer.

I've never tasted Old Rasputin (I think), but assuming the clone is accurate with a pound of C-120 in a (presumably) 5 gallon batch, I'm not surprised that there would be some dark fruit character.

I’m also looking for recommendations for good stouts that I can commonly find locally? (Porters even too) because tis the season for dark beer.

That depends to an extent on where "locally" is for you.

Dark crystals certainly have that character. That said, what pushes it further is The combination of dark crystals and English yeast. When combined they can deliver a firm dark fruit character

I mostly meant those that would be widely available. But I live in Northeast Ohio. I used US05 so hopefully that will mitigate that flavor.

Back