Storing ingredients...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought some extra kits from Midwest to save on shipping. Since I may not brew these kits for another month or two or three, what needs to be stored in the frig and what will be fine at room temp?

I got hops, hop pellets, wyest liquid smack packs, dry yeast, lme, dme, priming sugar, and crushed steeping grains.

I'm guessing the only things that need special care is the liquid yeast and maybe the crushed grains? Everything else should be fine at room temp?

Freeze the hops and put all the yeast into the fridge. As long as the grains are in sealed bags (vac pack is better) they will be fine. Some people like to put LME into the fridge too.

LME should always go into the fridge till brew day imo. Room temp LME will go bad way faster. I put hops in the freezer,LME,steeping/mashing grains in sealed bags in fridge too. Yeasts in the lil butter cubby on fridge door. DME,priming sugars,& other dry stuff in a container on pantry shelf on a higher shelf way off the floor.

How long should pellet hops still be good after being frozen?

If sealed up, or properly packaged, at least a couple of years. Generally, you'll use them up long before there's an issue. I vacuum pack my bulk hop bags (purchased in either 4oz, 8oz or one pound bags) once I've opened them. They then go back into the freezer.

Back