storing grains and hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
I just received the supplies to brew my first self developed recipe. I'll have some left over grains and hops. What is the best way to store these items for future use? And how long will they keep.

Keep your hops in the freezer, perferably vac. sealed. Keep your grains in a air tight container or ziplock bag in a cool dry place.

Agree with response above. Although I don't store grains, I purchase as I brew and use within the week. Is the last bit of grain left over from a sack? Personally for a pound of grain I'd just toss it in the kettle, unless it was very dark.

Got my eye on a vaccum sealer and a bunch of mylar bags this Christmas. Hops are something you can naturally end up having a lot of bags in storage.

About how. much grain (lbs) can you get into homer buckets? How long would you keep it in there (unmilled 2 row)?

About how. much grain (lbs) can you get into homer buckets? How long would you keep it in there (unmilled 2 row)?

Good Question. I think around 20-25 pounds.
Also wondering about the second question.
Bought 150pds bulk beginning of the year and want to know how long I can expect it to last

I bought the Midwest PM Traditional Stout kit,but here's the kicker. They doubled the grains in two plastic bags (about 5lbs each),milled. I forgot to tell them not to. They kept perfectly fresh in their bags sealed in my home depot bucket for about a month. I was waiting for cooler days to brew'em up.
Sealed in that bucket in the bags as well kept them fresh,even though they looked like they needed better crush,which I did. so maybe that also freshens them some?!...

Good Question. I think around 20-25 pounds.
Also wondering about the second question.
Bought 150pds bulk beginning of the year and want to know how long I can expect it to last

They should have no problem lasting a year or so. I have vacuum packed grain that over a year and it tastes just fine.

50-55lb sacks require two 5 gallon buckets. I have Gamma Lids on mine. Easy repeated access, airtight storage. I keep smaller amounts in lock and lock type containers. Some have been stored for more that a year from the purchase date with no significant loss.

I have a Foodsaver vacuum bagging setup and keep my hops, vacuum bagged, in the freezer for more than a year. I get great comments when sharing my beers. So I guess it is working.

I also freeze yeast. I make four 20 ml vials. Consisting of 5 ml yeast, 5 ml glycerin and 10 ml water. I have used samples that were 2 years from freeze date with great success.

Latest posts

Back