Storing grain????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbrew

Reaction score
What is the best way to store your grains if it will be several months before you will use them and how long will they remain usable kept like that??

Get a vacuum sealer and bag them then chuck them in the freezer. Make sure to get all the air out or you'll freezer burn them

usually if where you get your grain has a good amount of turn over with their grain the shelf life on a unopened bag can be upwards of two years on the high side. If you have one of those 50 lbs airtight dog food storage bins these work great ( just keep it in the original bag inside the bin ). you could also get paint buckets with lids food grade vs non food grade is still a hot debate for storage. I have also seen people use garbage pails clean and unused of course to store grain. I love the vaccum seal method above but it's not practical for large amounts of grain as it will fill your whole freezer or fridge with just 50-100 lbs.

To get the longest grain life without vacuum packing, freezing, etc, try to focus on the following for your storage area:

1) Cool - As cool as you can find in your home.
2) Dry - in a sealed container, or a low humidity storage area.
3) Dark - as in, out of direct sunlight.

I keep my grain stash in a tote with a lid under my work bench in the basement, I keep a dehumidifier running in this room year-around.

To get the longest grain life without vacuum packing, freezing, etc, try to focus on the following for your storage area:

1) Cool - As cool as you can find in your home.
2) Dry - in a sealed container, or a low humidity storage area.
3) Dark - as in, out of direct sunlight.

I keep my grain stash in a tote with a lid under my work bench in the basement, I keep a dehumidifier running in this room year-around.

So kind of like storing rice and the shelf life should last for 6 months would be a good assumption?

I currently store my bulk grain in HD orange Homer buckets with their gasket sealed lids. They hold around 27 lbs of grain each, they are food grade, air tight and resealable, and are cheap. I have 9 filled at the moment.

beerloaf

I currently store my bulk grain in HD orange Homer buckets with their gasket sealed lids. They hold around 27 lbs of grain each, they are food grade, air tight and resealable, and are cheap. I have 9 filled at the moment.

beerloaf

Me too! Well, I only have two... and they are currently empty! Need to get in on a grain buy.

beerloaf

Where did you determine they are food grade? I have heard that they technically are not. Something about food grade HDPE not being allowed to have dyes in it. I think even if they technically are not certified food grade they are perfectly fine especially for dry grain storage. Basically asking to see if you may know something I couldn't find. Thanks.

I use all uncrushed grain. I put it in recycled 27 lb cat litter plastic buckets, and store it in my basement, which pretty much stays at 60F year round. I've never been able to tell any difference from the age of the grain, but I should hasten to say that mostly it's never very old. I brew Spring and Fall, with one large order for each season's brew schedule. This spring, I had some odds and ends left over- some black malt, peated malt, melanoidin....as I stated earlier, I'll use all that, and expect I won't be able to taste any difference.

I have acquired many food grade buckets free from my local supermarket from the bakery/deli department. I have some square icing buckets and round some pie filling buckets. Icing buckets are about 3 gallon with lids. Rounds are probably 4 gallons. I use Gamma lids on other round buckets so I'll get some of those.

They reuse them, but I go in every 2-3 weeks and see if some are available. I keep getting asked "what are you going to do with them" I reply I store home brew supplies.

Got a few more Friday afternoon and they told me to bring them some beer! Most definitely... have to keep my bucket suppliers happy.

Quick thread resurrection because I didn't see an answer to the question I have...

At any given time, I have a total of around 50-60 lb. assorted grains on hand, and since I have the room, I store them (in plastic bags) in my brewroom fridge, the theory being that cooler is better. Then I got to wondering... is this subjecting them to undue/harmful moisture? Would it be better to store them somewhere cool, but dry?

5 gal bucket with gamma lid. Or really any lid with the oring seal. Whole grain will keep for years like this. Never mill until brew day.

IMG_3593.JPG

5 gal bucket with gamma lid. Or really any lid with the oring seal. Whole grain will keep for years like this. Never mill until brew day.

I see in the pic that you have your grains in LOWE'S buckets. I've got dozens of empty, clean drywall compound buckets with lids that I can use. Thanks for the tip!

If you are trying for very long term storage it would probably help to purge your bucket with CO2 and/or put O2 absorbers in the bucket.

Back