Stoneware bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vividdemise

Reaction score
So I have been looking on craigslist and yard sale sites for bottles and im seeing alot of these antique stoneware bottles anyone use these to bottle?

00G0G_68GwEDHpExF_600x450.jpg

Something like this

Look on the inside, and you'll probably change your mind quickly. Any clue what has been in there over the years?

Aren't they unglazed inside? If so, that would mean they're almost impossible to clean and sanitize.
Keep 'em as relics, they're great props.

Besides, they won't hold pressure, no lid and likely not pressure proof, so you can't carbonate the beer in it if they were clean. They're sort of growlers in a way.

Look on Craigslist. There are always bottles being offered for free or a small price. Or ask a local bar if you can have their empties. Beer drinking friends or colleagues. Raid the recycle bins before pickup. I've never bought 12 oz empties. And craft beer is expensive... that's the main reason why we brew. :mug:

Craigslist is where if found them looking for bottles no joy atm. I have word out atm for bottles with everyone I know. Think i'm going to pick up a hand full of growlers next weekend.

Craigslist is where if found them looking for bottles no joy atm. I have word out atm for bottles with everyone I know. Think i'm going to pick up a hand full of growlers next weekend.

You cannot carbonate beer in growlers. Really, no bottles being offered? Tried one of the other options yet? How about a "bottles wanted" ad on Craigslist?

Search outside your direct area too, some "other area" people may be closer by than "locals" or not post in your dominion.

Here's my Craigslist search string:
homebrew | homebrewing | "home brew" | "home brewing" | beerbrew | "beer brew" | "beer brewing" -nintendo -wii -keurig -guitar -xbox -hbe -"sale to prep" -tassimo

The - (minus) ones keep irrelevant, annoying as well as spam items nicely at bay, in my area. Edit to your preference.

You cannot carbonate beer in growlers. Really, no bottles being offered? Tried one of the other options yet? How about a "bottles wanted" ad on Craigslist?

Well that's some nonsense right there. I've used flip top growlers to bottle condition for a long time. Holds pressure and there's no issue leaving it go for a while.

From the reading I have done flip top growlers should be ok to bottle in. Am wrong there its what I have been planing on putting my 1 gallon test batches in.

Do you use an app or other site to run that search or can you just enter the '-' words in the CL search engine?

No app, no Search Tempest, directly into CL <For Sale> search area in your web browser.

I prefer to have my coffee "Cowboy style." I don't want to read about bulky K-cup machines. Hot water on top of freshly, finely ground coffee, stir well and drink after allowing it 30 seconds to settle, about the time it takes me to get downstairs. If you can feel the grit in the ground coffee it's likely not fine enough. :mug:

Back