Stone Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnpaddler

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of Stone Clone IPA yesterday. However there were no instructions on how long to wait before adding the dry hopp addition...my brewing friend suggested 10 days before adding the hopps. I typically wait 30 days from the day of brewing till the day of kegging/bottle. Can I wait the extra 20 days to keg/bottle if I dry hopp in 10 days or will I lose flavor by waiting 20 days to keg/bottle?

Thanks for any assistance.....Scotty

If you want to stick to bottling/kegging at day 30, I would dry hop anywhere from day 20 to day 25. I don't think you want to dry hop for longer than 10 days max otherwise you lose the benefit you're going for.

As soon as fermentation is near completion, 98% or so for me I will start the DH. More often than not I've reach FG at the point of DH. At ferment temps I'll go 10 days, then cold crash for 3-5 days, removing DH within those 3-5 days and then keg. Second round of DH in the keg on certain beers for an added kick. Some beers I will just DH in the serving keg and leave them in for he duration of the serving.

moral is don't matter much

The only reason people wait for fermentation to end when dry hopping is the keep the hops in the wort. As the wort off gases CO2 the gas forms (comes out of solution) on any impurities/trub/hops in the wort. This causes them to be brought to the surface here they can get stuck in the krausen and not be affecting the beer. So as soon as the krausen has fallen you are clear to dry hop.

Clem

Clem

Latest posts

Back