Stomach bug ruining my homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I had a stomach bug last week (a real one, not a drank too much one) It came on a little slow, and now the beers I have on tap are a little harder to drink. They aren't my best brews, but they also seem to trigger that sensory response a little bit, that makes me go, "last time I drank this I puked". Hate to dump them, but they're hard to enjoy. I'll have fresh ones ready in a few weeks. Maybe bottle some?

I've been fortunate not to have that feeling towards my homebrew yet. Bottling a few seems like an option if you put them away and come back to later. Maybe by then you'll have forgotten the puking memory haha!

I had a stomach bug last week (a real one, not a drank too much one) It came on a little slow, and now the beers I have on tap are a little harder to drink. They aren't my best brews, but they also seem to trigger that sensory response a little bit, that makes me go, "last time I drank this I puked". Hate to dump them, but they're hard to enjoy. I'll have fresh ones ready in a few weeks. Maybe bottle some?

I does this mean you never got sick from drinking alcohol before?

edit: As a kid I got a bad flu and the last thing I ate was chicken noodle soup. To this day I have a hard time eating chicken noodle soup.

I also had a beer get contaminated with something, turned my cream ale into a very nice Belgian single. Even though it was a nice a beer I knew it was flawed and I had to force myself to drink it. I used to enjoy Belgian beers but it took about 2 years before I could drink something phenolic without be turned off. It is easy for your head to mess with you.

I would give your beer and stomach a little rest and try it again before dumping it.

Last edited:
Maybe this is something like your experience. I had a regular lunch routine of going to my favorite diner for the meatloaf every Tuesday (well, I'm there for something most days, but Tuesday is meatloaf.) Last winter, I got the flu pretty bad. The first time I was back on my feet enough to leave the house was a Tuesday, and I stopped in. I was still sick enough that nothing tasted right to me. I got the meatloaf, and of course it tasted awful. Even a glass of water did. But since that day, I can't bring myself to order that meatloaf. Just thinking about it is repulsive. Someday we'll both have to get back on our horses. But it is amazing how strongly these experiences can set up longstanding associations in our minds and senses.

Maybe this is something like your experience. I had a regular lunch routine of going to my favorite diner for the meatloaf every Tuesday (well, I'm there for something most days, but Tuesday is meatloaf.) Last winter, I got the flu pretty bad. The first time I was back on my feet enough to leave the house was a Tuesday, and I stopped in. I was still sick enough that nothing tasted right to me. I got the meatloaf, and of course it tasted awful. Even a glass of water did. But since that day, I can't bring myself to order that meatloaf. Just thinking about it is repulsive. Someday we'll both have to get back on our horses. But it is amazing how strongly these experiences can set up longstanding associations in our minds and senses.

i just recently ate tv-dinners for a week and my thyroid was painful, terrified of them now.....just how a rat won't eat bait it sees another rat die off.....

I does this mean you never got sick from drinking alcohol before?

edit: As a kid I got a bad flu and the last thing I ate was chicken noodle soup. To this day I have a hard time eating chicken noodle soup.

I also had a beer get contaminated with something, turned my cream ale into a very nice Belgian single. Even though it was a nice a beer I knew it was flawed and I had to force myself to drink it. I used to enjoy Belgian beers but it took about 2 years before I could drink something phenolic without be turned off. It is easy for your head to mess with you.

I would give your beer and stomach a little rest and try it again before dumping it.
I've been sick from drinking before, but the association is different. Oh well, like I said, they're not my best work anyway. Maybe keep them around till my new ones are ready, and see if I can find devilish feelings off. Its all in my head....

I'd say cut back for a little bit. Nothing says you have to drink your beers.

References to horses and meatloaf should not be made in the same paragraph Rob.

Is any of your beer green?
giphy.gif

Well if you send me your address I would be more then happy to come dispose of all your beer for you, and I won’t even charge you.

I did have a similar experience when my appendix ruptured. Even though the lunch I had the day before the surgery had nothing to do with the appendix that ruptured two days earlier.

I had a stomach bug last week that turned out to actually be a very common parasite (my toddlers got it from playing in the sand and gave it to us all)...
My nurse-wife recommended a BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) and all I could think was "hmm, brats those would go well with a beer" ...
Nah but seriously, I didn't eat anything at all for like 2 days, just water and some toast...
Hope you feel better!

I thought BRAT was bananas, applesauce, rice, and tea? Something you really want to get right when the time comes... I'll take your interpretation under advisement, as a professional is involved!

I had a stomach bug last week that turned out to actually be a very common parasite (my toddlers got it from playing in the sand and gave it to us all)...
My nurse-wife recommended a BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) and all I could think was "hmm, brats those would go well with a beer" ...
Nah but seriously, I didn't eat anything at all for like 2 days, just water and some toast...
Hope you feel better!
Thanks, I feel fine now. Just funny to me how stuff like that works. I guess I should just bottle some up for another time, and clean the kegs for the next round of new beers WITHOUT the pukey memories.

That sucks, man... My wife had a similar thing a few years ago. Wine is her drink, and she had to take some antibiotics that for the week she was on them, wine just "tasted wrong" to her. From that point forward, she just didn't like Chardonnay. Thankfully she didn't have any problems with reds for that stretch.

For her it lasted 4-5 months. It eventually subsided though.

That sucks, man... My wife had a similar thing a few years ago. Wine is her drink, and she had to take some antibiotics that for the week she was on them, wine just "tasted wrong" to her. From that point forward, she just didn't like Chardonnay. Thankfully she didn't have any problems with reds for that stretch.

For her it lasted 4-5 months. It eventually subsided though.

Bad ju ju to take alcohol and antibiotics. It can render them ineffective in clearing up a bacterial infection while also making the bacterium more resistant to antibiotics. Think 'superbugs' for which new, exotic and expensive drugs are needed today for bacterial infections that were easily treated with common, inexpensive ones not that long ago.

All antibiotics need to be taken for their full prescribed course and you should abstain from alcohol while taking them. Someday humanity will thank you.

Brooo Brother

Bad ju ju to take alcohol and antibiotics. It can render them ineffective in clearing up a bacterial infection while also making the bacterium more resistant to antibiotics. Think 'superbugs' for which new, exotic and expensive drugs are needed today for bacterial infections that were easily treated with common, inexpensive ones not that long ago.

All antibiotics need to be taken for their full prescribed course and you should abstain from alcohol while taking them. Someday humanity will thank you.

Brooo Brother

Do you have a source for this? It is often repeated but I don’t believe it to be true(for most antibiotics).

Just curious, I am not advocating drinking while taking antibiotics.

Do you have a source for this? It is often repeated but I don’t believe it to be true(for most antibiotics).

Just curious, I am not advocating drinking while taking antibiotics.

Only "conventional" knowledge from my current GP, 40 years of dealing with aeromedical doctors (pilots often suffer sinus infections), and the advice of my late father-in-law who was both a pilot and physician (and also schooled me in beer and wine making). I can't cite peer-reviewed studies, but the belief that alcohol intake while taking prescription antibiotics is widely held as contraindicated.

Brooo Brother

Again just curious as I have heard it before. I would be interested in a study vs conjecture. I have researched it extensively (i.e. a ten minute google search[emoji4]).

As I said, can't cite any source other than literally every Doc who ever prescribed it to me in the last 50 years. Also the prescription sheet that comes when you pick up a script from a pharmacy clearly states to not take with alcohol since it will affect the efficacy of the drug.

Something to ask your Doc at your next physical I guess.

Brooo Brother

Back