Stirring the wine during primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teegasus

Reaction score
Hello

Which methods are you using to vigorously stir the wine during primary fermentation to bring enough oxygen into the wine?
I feel like stirring with the stirring spoon isn’t doing the job properly. Tips and ideas?

Also I am new to winemaking and just sat my first wine to ferment! Really excited!

Thanks!

I use one of these hooked up to a cordless drill:
https://www.amazon.com/E-C-Kraus-HO...ld=1&keywords=wine+whip&qid=1610137480&sr=8-6
1610137552314.png

I've been making wine for 20+ years and haven't ever stirred the wine after I pitched the yeast, the exception would be red wine where you have to "punch down" the grapes floating on top of the must twice a day. Sometimes I'll swirl the carboy a little if I think the yeast is slowing down, but I generally mess with it as little as possible. I get the oxygen into the grape juice by dumping it from a bucket into a carboy (using a funnel) and its gets enough oxygen for the yeast from this method. Ok, so my method is probably incorrect, but what I'm saying is that you don't have to stir the wine to have it come out good, all my wine gets consumed without any complaints.

Be aware that yeast only need oxygen in the very early growth phase. Aerate at pitch and at 24 hrs, that's it. I use a Bernzomatic oxygen tank and O2 stone.

Be aware that yeast only need oxygen in the very early growth phase. Aerate at pitch and at 24 hrs, that's it. I use a Bernzomatic oxygen tank and O2 stone.
Okey, because my recipe says I should stir at least once a day, but I guess its better to leave it as is do not oxidate the wine? What if I feel the yeast slowing down, will it then be okay to stir a little to get it going again? Does it help?

Okey, because my recipe says I should stir at least once a day, but I guess its better to leave it as is do not oxidate the wine? What if I feel the yeast slowing down, will it then be okay to stir a little to get it going again? Does it help?
Stirring and aerating are 2 different things. Vigorous stirring that gets oxygen to the yeast should only be done during the initial growth phase, which is usually finished after 24 hours. That's when you start to see the airlock bubbling and foam appear. I actually use an O2 tank and a special wand for that. After that, gentle stirring to keep the yeast in suspension and help dispell CO2 (called degassing) is beneficial and I try to do that twice a day.

I even continue to stir for a couple weeks after the ferment is done, the yeast jockeys say that the yeast will metabolize some of the crap they left behind in the lees (you'll see references to the yeast "cleaning up after themselves").

Stirring and aerating are 2 different things. Vigorous stirring that gets oxygen to the yeast should only be done during the initial growth phase, which is usually finished after 24 hours. That's when you start to see the airlock bubbling and foam appear. I actually use an O2 tank and a special wand for that. After that, gentle stirring to keep the yeast in suspension and help dispell CO2 (called degassing) is beneficial and I try to do that twice a day.

I even continue to stir for a couple weeks after the ferment is done, the yeast jockeys say that the yeast will metabolize some of the crap they left behind in the lees (you'll see references to the yeast "cleaning up after themselves").
Thank you! Makes sense.

Just shake the bejeezus out of it after its started. Dem der is backwoods recommendations by the way. If it aint Bejeezus its not enough :D

Back