Stirring all grain mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
I've done 10 pm batches with my grains in a bag but I've moved up to all grain. I've done plenty of reading and I'm ready to do my first all grain without a bag tonight but the only thing I don't have a firm grasp on is when to stir during the mash and sparge. I'm doing a batch sparge with no mashout. I haven't decided if I'll split my sparge in two or do a whole one. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I dump the grains into the water and stir like a mad man. Sometimes if I do not think the temperature is going to drop too much I will stir again during the mash hour. I do batch sparge so when I pour in the sparge water I again stir like a mad man. Vorlauf then drain into my kettle.

I do pretty much the same. I add water, add grains, then stir really hard for a couple minutes. I like to split my batch sparges into 2 equal ones if I can.

I tend to add grain first after I preheat my mash tun I add grain first then slowly add my water while stirring the grain. I tend to overshoot my temp by 5°F so it will naturally lower to my target mash temp while I stir.

When you split your batch sparge your volumes cut in half, right? Is it ok if it's not covering all the grain?

Turfmanbrad said:
When you split your batch sparge your volumes cut in half, right? Is it ok if it's not covering all the grain?

I also split. I have never seen this happen. I'm not even sure it's possible while still hitting target pre boil gravity, given reasonable efficiency. That said, I've never made anything over 1.065 post boil.
I'm generally sparging with around 6 gallons. 3 easily covers the grain.

Mashing now. I wasn't picturing grain volume to water volume right. I thought it'd be super thick. I love the smell of grains! Thanks for all your help!

I always heat my strike water hotter than it needs to be. It is easier to cool it that heat it back up again. Once I get to the correct temp, I add my grains. I always hit my strike temp.

Latest posts

Back