Stir Plate Voltage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleben113

Reaction score
I am building a stir plate this week and I am clueless to which fan I need to buy. As of now, I have a 12v phone charger for my power supply and a 100 kohm potentiometer (I think). I am wondering if it matters what voltage my fan is. I don't want to burn it out if it is too low but I'm not even sure if this is a real concern because I know nothing about electricity.

Here is the link to the potentiometer if that helps at all

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...PpbGTks1KBJQGpw0j8cuTF9PnUYNcMuC68xgMZJ6%2btv

Thanks in advance for you help.

I just built one with the fan below...

Cheap Fan

I had a 12 v charger and it would spin way too fast even with the same potentiometer that you have spec'd out. I had to drop my power source to a 5 v with the potentiometer to get the stir plate to work fast enough to keep a slight vortex but prevent the stir bar from kicking off the center.

EDIT: I should say that I've used it for around 5 starters that have kept it running for 4 days each time with no issues.

Hmmm. So it's not a problem that you're using a fan that runs at a higher voltage than the power supply puts out?

I have a 5v power supply that I could use if that would work better and possibly get a lower voltage fan if I that's what I need. I want to have a good amount of control of the speed of the fan and not have it only too fast or only too slow

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Back