stir plate recommendations, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I've been holding out for a second hand stir plate for some time now but I'm not the only one and the ones that do come up for sale are gone quick.

With my birthday being in ~2 weeks I think I'm going to take advantage of the situation and finally buy a piece of NEW brewing equipment, so I'm asking: what stir plates are you guys using? Are you happy with them? What do you not like? What should I be on the look out for, as far as features, brands, etc.?

I brew 5-6 gallon batches of Ales, typically in the range of 1.045-1.065. I am getting more into Brett beers and would like to eventually get into Lagers (once I can find an affordable chest freezer/refrigerator) so I would like the ability to do large starters.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but with that being said I'd like to stay very close to $100.

As always I appreciate all the help you guys give me. Cheers!

If you're a bit handy or know someone who is, you can build one for $5-30. There are many pieces of brew equipment you can't build that easily. Such as a mill, a pump, etc.

You also need to buy at least one 2 liter flask, shouldn't cost more than $20. The ones at most LHBS are overpriced and may not be that good.
Plus a stir bean.

I've bought a couple used lab ones on eBay with great results. It took a little while for them to come up, but your bound to find one in the $30~$50 range in some time. Just get 5L flask and be done with it lol (lagers in mind). I think Cole Palmer or another lab instrument company sells one in the $30 range on Amazon.

I've bought a couple used lab ones on eBay with great results. It took a little while for them to come up, but your bound to find one in the $30~$50 range in some time. Just get 5L flask and be done with it lol (lagers in mind). I think Cole Palmer or another lab instrument company sells one in the $30 range on Amazon.

Just search for "magnetic stirrer". Also, keep in mind that these were most likely in lab environments and could have been exposed to any sort of chemicals, etc... Be sure to clean it thoroughly before use.

Fisher Scientific Flexa-Mix Magnetic Stirrer Model 16 w Clamp For Ring Stand | eBay

Matheson Scientific Magnetic Stirrer Magnestir 60060-10 FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Thermolyne Sybron Magnetic Stirrer WORKING S7225 | eBay

Thermolyne Nuova II Magnetic Stirrer (free ship) | eBay

Back