Stir plate recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I currently have a magnetic stir plate with a heating element, but no temp control. I might have ruined a starter last night because I got busy doing stuff and spaced that the heater was on. It reached about 110f.

So, I am looking for recommendations for a stir plate with fairly accurate temperature control so this doesn't happen again. $100 is my budget, maybe more if it seems worth it.

Thanks in advance!

I got a cheap stir plate off amazon for like $30 and it works great(obv no heating element). Why do you want the heating function?

Laboratory stir plates commonly came with heaters. Perhaps the OP came across one of those.
But it's easy enough to simply not use the heating - or even open up the unit and cut the red wire ;)
Not sure I'd replace the unit if the stirring function is viable.

I've been running a pair of home-built stir plates for years, neither has a heater. I don't see the need, if one has a fermentation chamber, stick the stir plate in there if there's no warm-ish spot elsewhere in the home...

Cheers!

Last edited:
if one has a fermentation chamber, stick the stir plate in there if there's no warm-ish spot elsewhere in the home...

Cheers!

In the months when it gets chilly in the basement area where I use the stir plate, I warm things up with an incandescent bulb in a reflector type work lamp (brooder lamp.) The "greenhouse effect" of the flask makes this especially effective.

Well, thanks folks. I guess I was over thinking the whole process. Keep it simple stoopid should be my mantra. No need for fancy stuff. I do have a fermentation chamber, and I could easily make another out of things around the house, even better if its temporary.
Problem solved :)

Laboratory stir plates commonly came with heaters. Perhaps the OP came across one of those.
But it's easy enough to simply not use the heating - or even open up the unit and cut the red wire ;)
Not sure I'd replace the unit if the stirring function is viable.

I've been running a pair of home-built stir plates for years, neither has a heater. I don't see the need, if one has a fermentation chamber, stick the stir plate in there if there's no warm-ish spot elsewhere in the home...

Cheers!
DIY stir plate...I saw a thread about this. I'm going hop over there and see what's up

I was gonna do the DIY stir plate but I found one on morebeer on sale for like 50$ with the flask and DME and couldnt pass it up. I've been doing a lot of the shaken not stirred starters lately.

DIY stir plate...I saw a thread about this. I'm going hop over there and see what's up
I wonder i
I was gonna do the DIY stir plate but I found one on morebeer on sale for like 50$ with the flask and DME and couldnt pass it up. I've been doing a lot of the shaken not stirred starters lately.

I think I am going to make one just for fun. I have a few cigar boxes laying around the house that would make nice stir plates. Need a few "round tuits" to get this project off the ground tho! Got any you can spare?

Back