Stir Plate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantomlord

Reaction score
anybody know if I can use a dimmer light switch in place of a rheostat to control stir speed? I've got a few sitting around collecting dust...if I could, it would make my build 100% free :ban:

Thanks!

depends on if you have AC or DC and if the dimmer is for AC or DC. assuming you use DC for you stir plate and the dimmer switch is AC it's unlikely that it would work but who knows it doesn't hurt to try. I'v been thinking the the controllers for the slot cars could be used to control the fan but i haven't tested it. best i found was this. http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383 just need a some soldering skills or have them do it.

Makes sense...I didn't think about the AC/DC thing.
Probably explains why I can't get it to work.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used a small piece of extension cord between the dimmer switch and the DC power adapter. It came out just fine. The dimmer switch can't be run between the power adapter and the fan, but it will work if wired between the wall outlet and the DC adapter.

Here are some pics so you can see how I did it.
20140921_225508_zps67392b2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140921_225547_zpsa47595f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140913_210450_zps119155e4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am surprised that works. most DC power supplies like that have a range of 90-240 volts to put out rated DC voltage, under that, switching power supplies will just drop like a rock and stop working. If you have a linear supply, I can see it working.

would just be a better idea to use a PWM DC module like something used to dim LEDs.

Absolutely the easiest method is to use an old Tyco slot-car controller. Plug it straight into the wall and wire your motor directly to it's output terminals. Adjust the speed with the lever and you're done.

Note that the problem with this technique is that the torque also drops with slow speeds, but it might not be an issue anyway. A friend of mine used one of these slot-car controllers to power his little homemade tattoo gun and he gave hundreds of awesome tats with it.

I haven't had an issue with it yet. The dimmer switch reduces the AC power prior to the DC transformer.

Back