Stir during fermentation?? Please Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I added some honey after taking a gravity reading and stirred it in. I added my yeast last night and I noticed this morning the honey seems to have settled into the bottom. Fermentation has started, but I wanted to know if stirring the honey back into suspension would help or if I should just leave well enough alone and come back next week..

Help me set my mind at easy as this is the first wine I have attempted to make and I am certain I will make many mistakes, but I want to make certian the yeast does not get overworked eating the honey it seems to be sitting on. I am using EC-1118 as my yeast.

Cheers..HB

nope...leave it alone....the yeast are bottom feeders....trust me.

RDWHAHB.jpg

OK then what does it mean when folks say to "stir" once a day for the first 5 days?? I am working on Yoopers Welch's wine recipe.

if the recipe says stir...then go ahead and do it....but the honey at the bottom poses no threat to full fermentation. personally, the whole stirring part of that recipe might be overly worked up people thinking that the honey needs to be constantly stirred...it doesn't. but since I don't know why it is in the recipe....go ahead and stir.

During fermentation, the whole batch will be churning on it's own, relax and don't worry.

The reason it says to stir is to get some of the CO2 out of solution and introduce some air to help the yeast out. By no means is stirring necessary, but you can if you want to.

Latest posts

Back