American IPA Stillmatic - Centennial/Columbus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 days | 65F
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Very juicy, piney session IPA with all late hop-additions.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Stillmatic - Centennial-Columbus IPA
Author: Remmy

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 82% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.04%
IBU (tinseth): 66.18
SRM (morey): 3.97

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (50%)
4.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (50%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.2, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 17.63
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 22.99
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 12.92
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 12.64

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 5 min, Amount: 5.75 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.33 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
This is a very simple beer to brew with a simple grain bill. Great beer to enjoy while mowing the lawn when you want bold hop flavor. It is quite piney with big grapefruit and tangerine notes in the aroma.

still.jpg

Digging the hip hop references in your recipes. This is on my list, but I plan to sub Centennial with Galena because I have a few pounds that need to be used.

Hi Remmy,

That beer sounds delicious...I have loads of Columbus and Centennial on hand so I think I might give this a whirl...maybe throw in some Nelson Sauvin as well. I dont have Marris Otter on hand but I have some Bairds Golden Promise which I may be able to use. I notice the beer calls for only late hop editions...is there still some bitterness in the beer to help balance it out? The colour of the beer looks great, exactly what I am after, also glad to see you used a dry yeast and got great results :D

Just brewed this weekend, Upped the grain to account for my crappy efficiency. I got 1.052 into the fermenter, also added 3 oz of amarillo into the mix. excited to see the results!

Gonna brew this Sunday instead (waiting to brew your nelson double ipa when the hops are easier to get). Looks good.

I would not add the munich - it'll darken the beer. This is a very crisp and light IPA. I say go with everything else you have there minus the munich. Besides, I think the Maris Otter gives this beer the perfect amount of malt punch it needs.

Cool, thanks!

Looks like a nice beer! Just curious about the name, where you listening to NAS while brewing this beer? ;)

Mine didn't turn out as pretty... I did a 1 gallon, with slightly different grain bill as I was hoping to get this over 6% alcohol.
1.5 lb Maris Otter Pale (60%) / 1 lb Pale 2-Row (40%)

Somehow I dramatically overshot my efficiency and it ended up at 8% when it was all said and done.

Flavour wise, this beer grows on me as I drink it, but there is something about the hops which I can't put my finger on that leaves me wanting more. Part of me is thinking a more aroma based dry hop at the end would've rounded this out nicer, but also take this with a grain of salt knowing everything mentioned above about the malt factors.

stillmaticresized.jpg

Mine came out on the darker side (LME probably got a bit caramelized, shoulda added it later), but it tastes great. I undershot the efficiency a bit so it's only like 4.3%, which is a-OK for me. A bit more bitterness and less juiciness than I prefer, but still very tasty.

Brought this back from the dead and brewed today. I used 5 pounds each of maris otter and 2 row. I have rather low efficiency. Going to dry hop with 1/2 ounce each of Columbus and centennial. 1.045 in the fermenter with 1056.

Looks like a cool recipe to start with. I would maybe add some hops at the begining of the boil maybe 0.25oz-0.5oz... its on my ''to brew'' list. Thanks for the inspiration !

Thanks for posting this, I've been trying to figure out how to use a ton of centennial and Columbus I have in my freezer, and have been wanting to do a WC IPA.

Last edited:
I haven't brewed in almost a year since my daughter was born. Time has flown by. That being said, gonna try and knock out a batch of this next weekend to get back into the swing of things.

Back