Still have a horribly disappointing problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change out your rubber stoppers. Infections get in there and just do not go away. Just about any time someone develops an "unpleasant house flavor," it's in the stoppers.

TL

The weird thing, though, is that the apfelwein had the flavor... and it was in 6 1gal jugs with 6 brand new stoppers.

I will replace them, though, since I could now have the infection in them.

BTW, any chance any one know what burnt DME taste like in beer? I haven't burnt one yet, but I'm wondering if you burnt your DME while boiling it? I guess you would know if your pot has a brunt mark at the bottom, but I'm thinking not always the case if you keep stirring.

It tastes Burnt, you wont mistake it trust me.

Germey, I'd be interested in a group brew day. I haven't had the same issues as OP, but would still be interested. ps...thanks for the bottles NitrouStang96, they sure came in handy!

You're welcome - if you happened to get any 22oz bottles in there, they originally came from Germey :)

You have all of them filled?

not yet...I'll be bottling my 4th batch this weekend( an imperial IPA). I've got an arrogant bastard clone mini mash from AHS in primary now, and will be brewing part one of BYO's newcastle clone this weekend as well. I'm hopping to get a kegging kit soon and do half and half, maybe every other batch or so. Dpn't wprry though, I'm sure I'll use em all soon enough...and if not, I'll pass some on to another local.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this issue...the taste not the Brew day...but I'm going to chime in here.

The only 3 things that are the same and how they relate.
Your Water...Bottled and always the same. Should be fine.
Your Air....Could be the issue. Make sure you don't have an AC vent blowing on your brew (Hew House same problem?)
Your Sanitizer. Apfelwein is the Big clue here. I would say that this is your culprit. I love Bleach for this reason....You can smell even the most faint bit of bleach...so just rinse with hot water till you don't smell bleach any more.

Swmbo made me switch to StarSan....cause I was ruining 2 shirts a week with Bleach.

HUGE clue (to someone who can figure it out):

Poured a sample of both brews into a plastic container (not carbed, fresh outta primary) the other day and put them into the fridge. The next day, I took them to the LHBS along with a bottle of apfelwein (bottled a long time ago).

I get there, crack open the plastic containers of flat beer, and pour samples for a few guys. They like it. I have them try the other one. They like that one too. I'm like, wtf is wrong with it? They're all looking stumped as to if anything is wrong with it at all. So I taste it.

It was great! Aside from being flat, it was fantastic. 24hr earlier, it was in a keg and tasted nasty. (I dispensed the beer, flat, from the faucets). So I'm like great, the guys on homebrewtalk are really going to ream me for complaining about the taste of green beer.

Fastforward to right now. The beer in my kegs is still nasty. And it will remain nasty - I've had it like this before, so I know. Something about pouring it into a plastic container and leaving it in the fridge for 24-48hr and then transporting it to the LHBS fixed it right up. And get this. Even the apfelwein in the bottle tasted good over there. WHAT THE *$%*?! They still taste nasty at my house... :(

CLIFF'S NOTES:
Beer tastes gross at my house but tastes great at LHBS.

Something about pouring it into a plastic container and leaving it in the fridge for 24-48hr and then transporting it to the LHBS fixed it right up. And get this. Even the apfelwein in the bottle tasted good over there. WHAT THE *$%*?! They still taste nasty at my house... :(

Carbonating and then off gassing can drive off lots of different volatile flavor compounds. Repeatedly overcarbing and off gassing a keg can diminish your hop aroma drastically. Maybe you could force that situation in your kegs, then dry hop afterwards. Do you have any bottles that are confirmed offenders? That would be a better idea so the guys at HBM might narrow down the root cause.

The samples I made were never carbonated. I just went from primary to the keg, chilled the kegs over night, and hooked up the CO2 to dispense some and begin carbonation.

As far as the bottles go - all of the bottles of apfelwein have tasted like crap. Except that one. I'm going to chill some, put them in my car and take them for a ride, and then sample them and see what they taste like.

The samples I made were never carbonated. I just went from primary to the keg, chilled the kegs over night, and hooked up the CO2 to dispense some and begin carbonation.

As far as the bottles go - all of the bottles of apfelwein have tasted like crap. Except that one. I'm going to chill some, put them in my car and take them for a ride, and then sample them and see what they taste like.

Well, that should be easy to explain to the officer:p

Poured a sample of both brews into a plastic container (not carbed, fresh outta primary) the other day and put them into the fridge. The next day, I took them to the LHBS along with a bottle of apfelwein (bottled a long time ago).

I get there, crack open the plastic containers of flat beer, and pour samples for a few guys. They like it. I have them try the other one. They like that one too. I'm like, wtf is wrong with it? They're all looking stumped as to if anything is wrong with it at all. So I taste it.

It was great! Aside from being flat, it was fantastic. 24hr earlier, it was in a keg and tasted nasty. (I dispensed the beer, flat, from the faucets). So I'm like great, the guys on homebrewtalk are really going to ream me for complaining about the taste of green beer.

Fastforward to right now. The beer in my kegs is still nasty. And it will remain nasty - I've had it like this before, so I know. Something about pouring it into a plastic container and leaving it in the fridge for 24-48hr and then transporting it to the LHBS fixed it right up. And get this. Even the apfelwein in the bottle tasted good over there. WHAT THE *$%*?! They still taste nasty at my house... :(

CLIFF'S NOTES:
Beer tastes gross at my house but tastes great at LHBS.

sounds like you just need to spend more time in your LHBS :mug:

Back