Stiff ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsangel37

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has already been covered, I've had trouble finding results.

I have two brand new ball lock valves for my boil kettle and mash tun and I'm getting quite a bit of resistance when trying to open/close them. I was thinking maybe taking them apart and applying a bit of keg lube. Would anyone have any suggestions for loosening these up?

Sorry if this topic has already been covered, I've had trouble finding results.

I have two brand new ball lock valves for my boil kettle and mash tun and I'm getting quite a bit of resistance when trying to open/close them. I was thinking maybe taking them apart and applying a bit of keg lube. Would anyone have any suggestions for loosening these up?

consider yourself lucky.. When they dont have resistance they leak.. if theres rtoo much just loosen the nut that applies pressure to the ball this is either the end of the body on a 3 piece or the 4 nuts on the more complicated ones

Try the loosening the nut on the handle. I've had stiff ones before that turned out to be the handle riding on the top of the body. If that doesn't work. I've taken the handle completely off and buffed the top of the body and bottom of the handle with a dremel buffing wheel.

I remember just opening/closing mine for 20x in a row or something and then it was a lot looser. Just needed some wear in time I spose.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll see how it goes. It normally wouldn't be a big deal I just don't want to have to torque so hard on it that I end up breaking the plastic walls of my new mash tun.

Back