Stevia successes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonpecan

Reaction score
Ahoy-hoy,

A scenario, and a question or two, if you all would be so kind.

I have just transferred my "Red Velvet Ale" to secondary, racking onto some vanilla beans and cocoa nibs (all pre-doused in vodka). Otherwise, it is a pretty light grain bill (a tiny bit of acidulated malt, Victory malt, and rye malt, but mostly basic pilsner), with cocoa powder in the late boil. The strangest thing is the end of boil addition of skinned, chopped beets. After transfer to secondary, the beer is very clear (compared to primary), blood red, and I couldn't be happier.

So I am going for desserty notes, like a red velvet cake. I was thinking of back-sweetening during bottling, but I won't make the decision until bottling time, when I taste it. For various reasons, I want to avoid lactose (I'm a fair-weather vegetarian/vegan as are some of my relations, I'm lactose intolerant, etc etc, blah blah), and I want to go as natural as possible.

Anybody had success stories of back-sweetening with Stevia that they can report? Do you think the unique taste will work with this beer? I'm hoping to use very very little. I know it is potent, and though I like it, I know many people don't. I don't want the beer to be particularly sweet, perhaps just a touch, to bring all the flavor notes together, if necessary. Any success stories are appreciated!

Go to an Asian market and find some licorice root. It might be labeled Glycyrrhiza glabra - that's the scientific name. It looks like wood chips. It contains a compound called glycyrrhizin, which is a non-sugar sweetener (similar but different from what is in stevia). Chew on a piece of the root. If you like it, "dry hop" the beer with it. Maybe soak them in some vodka first.

I have never brewed with stevia, though I keep a plant outside (in the warm months) for my tea. It's awesome in tea, but we're talking a completely different world... I find the flavor of fresh leaves to be a bit like that "nutrasweet" artificial flavor, though when added in small amounts to brewed tea, it mellows out.

If you need to do it, I would make a tea and add that tea to the, wait, duh, you are back sweetening at bottling, so you would make a tea...

What about a bit of honey or brown sugar? I'd love to know how this works out for you, the recipe sounds fun as hell!

Back