Step Mash Calculator Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
Seems like such a newbie issue...

I've been using BeerSmith for a few months now and it seems like no matter what I do, my mash temperatures are always off by a degree or two. I checked and rechecked my input parameters (grain weight, mash tun dead space, specific heat, etc) and nothing seems to agree with my results. I find that my initial strike temperature is usually too high, and it's throwing off my game.

OTOH, I have been using Brewers Friend for 3 years or so with fantastic results. It seems like they derived the calculation directly from Palmers How to Brew, and for the most part it's working well.

However, I am finding it difficult to execute step mashes using any calculator with precision. I like to perform decoction mashes and I can usually hit 1 or 2 steps, but by the time it comes to mash out, I'm always a few degrees short. Even standard infusion mashes don't seem to work well for me. So, what gives? Am I not factoring in thermal losses properly or some such thing?

FWIW I brew using a standard 3-vessel Rubbermaid MLT with a false bottom. Thermometers are properly calibrated.

There are a lot of variables in calculating strike and step temps. Different mash tuns can have different thermal characteristics, not to mention grains and ambient temps. Most calculators will get you within a degree on your mashin temp. But as you move on to additional steps, those variables, plus the time and heat loss at each step, start to multiply and make step calculations less precise.

First, in BeerSmith I use the infusion calculator instead of depending on the strike temps it gives me in the mash schedule. Then I start with the step calculations and adjust as needed at each step. Over time, I've learned where the step temps are off and I plan accordingly. Usually I will plan to undershoot by a degree or two and then add some boiling water to reach it.

Elevation will play a significant role too.

As far as BS is concerned, I've found myself aiming to have my step infusion temperature to be about 6°F lower than actual boiling for my elevation. I assume that there is temperature loss from the time the water leaves the burner to the time it's being poured into the mash, plus I'd rather land a smidge high on step mash temp than a smidge low because a splash of cold water solves that problem easily.

Mashout has always been a b!tch to nail as well. I've found that by simply having an additional quart of decoction, above and beyond what any calculator states, that I'll hit the temperature I'm after. Again, if I hit a little high then a splash of cold water does the trick.

This works for me anyway. Cheers!

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like there are multiple ways to crack this nut. What I usually do for initial strike is pitch the water a few degrees higher than normal, wait for the water to come down to the correct temperature, and pitch my grains. The problem gets compounded if I plan on doing a gelatinization or beta glucan rest, and each successive step requires more fudgery. I'm almost ready to upgrade to a HERMS system out of sheer frustration.

AFAIK, elevation is a non issue for me (315 ft above sea level). I'm heating up strike water as I type right now...17.6 qt at 161F, aiming for an initial mash in at 150F and 1.25 qt/lb. Mash out as given by Brewers Friend is 8.6 qt @ 210F. We'll see if it works today...this is a really simple mash schedule.

Back