steeping temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing an extract brew of an IPA that requres 1lb of Crystal 40L malts to steep. I wasn't paying attention and let my steep get up to 175 degrees for about 5 -8 min... I read you shouldn't exceed 180 degrees. I still have 9 LBS of gold LME to add. How much did I ruin this beer? Is it going be have a low ABV? Did I destory it!?!?!?!?!?!

The main reason to not exceed 180 (or 170 for that matter) is that you will start to extract tannins from your grains at that level. Sorry if you already know this, but tannins will result in that dry, powdery, feeling/taste that you get from red wines. It may not be that bad, but that's your main concern. The crystal malt has very little influence on your ABV for 2 reasons.

1. You're steeping (to extract flavors/aromas. and colors), you're not mashing (to convert starches into sugars).

2. Crystal malts, even when mashed at correct temps/times have very little fermentable sugars - they do contribute to gravity, but typically not alcohol

Back