Steeping grains vs Mash Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSmetalcraft

Reaction score
I found a list, beer smith, of all the different grains that we would use in brewing beer. On that list it listed if the grain was a "MUST MASH" or not. I have a recipe that lists oat flakes and white wheat as a seeping grain with an extract beer. But when looking at the list it lists them as "must mash" . Is there still some benefit to steeping or choose another type. I guess mini mash would be best in order?

Unmalted grains don't have enzymes to convert the starch into fermentable sugar, so steeping those without malt will add starch to your beer.

Starch in the beer is generally frowned upon, partly because it adds haze, but also because you won't get any alcohol from the steeped grain.

I found a list, beer smith, of all the different grains that we would use in brewing beer. On that list it listed if the grain was a "MUST MASH" or not. I have a recipe that lists oat flakes and white wheat as a seeping grain with an extract beer. But when looking at the list it lists them as "must mash" . Is there still some benefit to steeping or choose another type. I guess mini mash would be best in order?

If you use white wheat as a "steeping grain", and hold it at 150-155F for 45 minutes or so, that's a mash. And it has enough enzymes to convert the oat flakes. So in Beersmith, check "partial mash" for that type. It's definitely a partial mash!

^ Right, if you have white wheat malt, then it does have enzymes needed to degrade the starch.

My bad, looking at the recipe it says White wheat malt. Also insta grains oat flakes, and vienne malt.......all as seeping grains. Recipe is from Briess web site.

?

It says 154 for 30 minutes. So I guess a short mash but close to the 45 minutes posed above.. Two pound of grains so just mash them it will be. I have another that requires oats and will have to approach it the same way. Not really a seep. Maybe time for BIAB all grain.

Back