Steeping Grains? Rinse????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Steeped some grains for the first time last night:rockin: (30 mins), and everything went well until I went to rinse them in 170 degree water and realized:confused:, ????? I thought maybe opening the bag and pouring the hotter water over them, and did that with several cups, however it was PITA:mad:. Then I thought to dunk the bag in the other pot of hotter water a few times and did that.

SO....:confused:
Whats the proper way to do this?
How do i know if i got the max fermentables out of the grains?

Please help.

You're not getting any fermentables from your steeping grains so you don't need to worry.

I always just took a pitcher or a quart measuring cup with some hot tap water and poured it over the bag.

Rev: does the difference between steeping for 30 and mashing for 60-90 cause the difference? A longer temp hold of 150ish cause the fermentables to come out? Otherwise to me it seems like steeping and mashing around the same cept for time, and maybe types of grain. Sorry I'm still new

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Rev: does the difference between steeping for 30 and mashing for 60-90 cause the difference? A longer temp hold of 150ish cause the fermentables to come out? Otherwise to me it seems like steeping and mashing around the same cept for time, and maybe types of grain. Sorry I'm still new

No, using grains that convert, and/or help convert other grains is the difference. Most of the malts used to steep with or to add color and flavor in an allgrain batch have little or no diastatic power. We're not getting the majority of sugars from them. If there is some 2-row in there (and some places do add some to the steeping grains in some extract w grain kits.) You might get some fermentables from them, but not much. Until you get into partial mashing, you are getting the majority of your fermentable sugars from the extract not the grain.

If you want a better understanding of what I mean, look at my old bog road recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/old-bog-road-brown-ale-pm-extract-w-grain-61591/ and you can see how the recipe changes as it goes from extract with grains to full all grain...look at the crystal and other malts and how the relate to the amount of base malt in the recipe.

I appreciate the link and reply. That makes sense

Back