"Steep small, boil big" - Grain Addition/Substitution to Wee Heavy Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHD

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew a wee heavy kit from Jasper's and had a few questions after reading the "10 Tips to Better Extract Brewing" article. The current fermentables and grain bill is as follows:

7.3 lbs Light LME
3.3 lbs munich LME
1.1 lbs Wheat LME
1 lbs Corn Sugar
.5 lbs 60L Crystal Malt
.5 lbs biscuit Malt
.25 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt

In the article Chris Colby suggests steeping at least 2-2.25 lbs of grains for a 5 gal boil - instructing that in addition to the existing grain bill add 2-row pale malt until you meet the target weight. For each pound of 2-row added it says to subtract .73 lbs of LME.

So here's my question: I want to add the additional 1.25 pounds of malt to bring it up to 2.5 pounds of steeping grains. Should I just use 2-row, or can I double up on the existing grains and add a new? I was thinking 1 pound of crystal, 1 pound of biscuit, .25 pale chocolate, and .25 peat smoked.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

You need to mash 2-row, not steep. If you want to go ahead and try mashibg (it is not too hard), then go for it.

If you steep, as in a lot of water, with no real control of temperature, then the 2-row will add very little; probably more starches than anything.

Don't add any more crystal, you have plenty already.

Peat smoked malt can be overwhelming. 0.25 lbs is a lot; it will be up-front smoke, rather than a subtle background note.

Thanks for the comment. I did some searching and now understand the difference in steeping and mashing - which helped me more understand that section of the article.

Would it be correct to mash the 2-row by itself in about a quart and a half of water in a separate pot then sparge over my brew kettle, increase the water volume, then proceed to the steep?

If that is correct, what would be the correct temperature to mash the 2 row and how long would I hold the temp?

As for the peat smoked, what would be a good amount?

Thanks again for the input, this site really is awesome!

I did some more research/reading and have realized all I'm really trying to do is a partial mash(still new to all of this). I think I'm going to up the 2 row to 2 pounds(maybe more?) and reduce the lme accordingly. Then add the specialty grains and do a partial mash.

I am still curious about how much for the peat addition though...

Put all the grains in your mash. The crystal has sugars you can get with a mash that you would not get with a steep.

For an extract, I usually recommend mashing at the lower end of the range to help with wort fermentability. Somewhere around 148 to 150 F. Mash for about 30 minutes. 1 lb of mashed grain is abiut 0.75 lbs LME.

Not all smoked malts are created equal. Peat smoked malt is very intense, and you can make a decent smoked beer with 4ozs of it. The BYO clone of Stone's smoked porter calls for .25 lbs; I've made it and it is really good. You might try 2 ozs if you just want background notes.

There are other smoked malts, and to get a similar amount of smoke from them, you need a few lbs.

I would go easy on the smoked malts. Style guidelines for Scottish ale say to not use any. From my understanding the yeast will add some smokey flavors to the beer which is why no smoked malt is used. Now we are home brewers so add what you want but it cam be very easy to over due it with peat smoked malt

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to drop 1.25 lbs of the lme and add 2lbs of 2-row. I dont think the 1728 will produce the flavor on its own so I'm also going to add about an ounce and a half of peat smoked. I know the style guidelines dont call for it but I like the taste and that's why I'm brewing it.

I haven't been able to find any info on the recipe so I'm going to start a new thread when I brew. I'm ordering my stuff from Jasper's on Monday and should be brewing on Saturday. After primary I plan on racking a gallon of it onto a few oz of bourbon and oak chips. Cant wait to get this going.

Thanks again for the comments!

Latest posts

Back