Steamboat Willy Cali Common - look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its my first go at brewing a steam beer so I figured I'd check and see if anything looks out of place here. I know most recipes use only Northern Brewer hops but I wanted to do something a little different plus the name was too cool. I also tweaked the IBU/OG ratio to match the area code of San Fransisco. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Batch Size - 5.25
OG - 1.055
FG - 1.014
IBU - 34.6
SRM - 12.4
ABV - 5.1%
Yeast - San Fransisco Lager 400 billion cells
Fermentation - 21 days @ 62f, 7 days @ 70f

Grain Bill - step mash, 10min @135f, 60min @152f

9# Maris Otter(83.72%)
1# Crystal 40(9.3%)
6oz Victory(3.49%)
4oz Aromatic(2.33%)
2oz Chocolate(1.16%)

Boil - 60min

1oz Northern Brewer @54min
Whirlfloc @10min
1oz Willamette @8min

Looks delicious. Should be great.

I'd do a couple things slightly different, but just to appease my own taste.

I would throw in another Northern Brewer addition at around 15 minutes, but thats just me. Other than that looks good. The common recipe I just brewed came out great with a little more NB than you've got there. But again, its all up to personal preference. I wanted something with a little more bite like Anchor Steam.

Thanks, out of curiosity what would you change and what do you think the differences would be?

I'd go single step mash because I'm lazy. I'd use c60 instead of c40, just my taste; and not use chocolate malt, for no good reason. Lastly, I'd probably raise the temp earlier than 21 days, maybe 7 days.

But i have a steam beer in the primary now for a month at 17c and haven't yet raised it, so I'm all talk, no action.

The hop additions should include northern brewer and northern brewer and more northern brewer!

Agree with C60 and no choc malt.

I am a proponent of doing whatever sounds good, and tweaking it until it is as good as originally hoped.

That usually means ignoring constraints like competition categories, tradition, peer pressure, other peoples' tastes, and even recipes.

There is no right or wrong, and even the good and bad is sometimes open to interpretation.

Go with your intuition and break new ground. Be creative and ... Just brew it.

..todd

Well thanks for everyones feedback. Since it looks like there's no major issue with the recipe I'm going to give it a go as is and tweak from there. Though it turns out I have C60 not C40 so that's one switch I'll have to make. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious or doing something dumb without realizing, thanks again!

Latest posts

Back