Steam Slayer mounted in lid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking at mounting my Steam Slayer in the lid of my SSBrewtech 20 gallon kettle. When measuring, I find a slight down hill slope (towards the tee). Is this ok or do I need it closer to level?

DC3E1D20-3E37-4882-A73D-91E0A99B1B3E.jpeg
753A6F10-C3AA-4BFE-B57E-7677EBCD0589.jpeg

I really wanted mine in the lid and debated forever. Finally put it in the side and couldn’t be happier. The angle woul have driven me nuts.

I really wanted mine in the lid and debated forever. Finally, put it in the side and couldn’t be happier. The angle woul have driven me nuts.
I know, right! It does bother me some, but the end result is all that matters. Besides, I turned it toward to rear of the kettle so it's less noticeable.

Functionally as well I'm really happy with mine on the side. I got in my head it needed to be high as possible which is why I was debating the lid placement. But even mounted about 1-1/2" below the rim to give my BIAB bag room to roll over the top its working great and is out of my way. Its really creating a slight vacuum. Should I ever do a batch large enough that the side mount is an issue for the mash, I'll just put a TC cover over the fitting.

I'm planning to get one of these for my recently ordered Anvil Foundry. Did you guys find there to be a smell-in-the-house reduction you'd call minor, good, great, outstanding? I'm sure there'll be some smell, there will be times the top comes off the kettle of course (i.e. chilling), but the less I can generate the better. Wife's not a fan of it. Just wondering what to expect?

Nice, thanks for the recommendation, I hoped you'd see this. I plan to buy from your shop, and I'll need a bulkhead fitting for the side of an Anvil 6.5, do you have such a thing in stock as well? Or am I sort of forced to run through the lid? I've got an array of tools to take care of making the hole and such, but it'd be nice to have a 1-stop shop for all of the needed parts. It'd be great to not have to also have the elbow, extender, and etc.

I'm thinking this one would normally do it, but am expecting the Anvil to have thicker walls for heat retention (I don't have it yet, it's only been ordered). TRUE Weldless 1.5'' TC Triclamp Bulkhead - STD up to 1/8'' Wall Maybe it has to go into the lid? I'm OK w/ a side mount of I can find a fitting that'll go in far enough. Weldless.

How's the weight in this? I just upgraded to a 20 gallon kettle and wasn't sure about the weight of everything/balance.

So it’s a little heavier than stock obviously, but nothing outrageous. I still can hang it on the pot handle. I don’t think I’d change where it was mounted if I were to do it again, I am getting the short spool to bring the tee a little further off the lid.

So it’s a little heavier than stock obviously, but nothing outrageous. I still can hang it on the pot handle. I don’t think I’d change where it was mounted if I were to do it again, I am getting the short spool to bring the tee a little further off the lid.
How'd you go about drilling the hole for it? Did you use the weldless TC port?

I did use a weldless TC port, the one from Bobby at BrewHardware.com. I have a carbide hole saw I got there as well. Clean, fast cutting, and easy to use.

I'm looking at moving mine from the side of kettle to the lid, Could I put a blank tri clamp cover to blank off the hole in side of the kettle, something like the picture below.

1607637363496.png

Back