STC-1000 temperature controller. So easy, just do it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ellas

Reaction score
I just finished my STC-1000 temp controller and am testing it out now. So far so good. It only took 30-45 minutes and cost about $25-30. I have an old heating pad that was kicking around so I'm going to use that for a heat source and an old fridge for cooling when summer rolls around. It was so easy to do and I can't wait to brew a batch to really test it out. Anyone on the fence about putting one together, don't wait any longer!

I just finished my STC-1000 temp controller and am testing it out now. So far so good. It only took 30-45 minutes and cost about $25-30. I have an old heating pad that was kicking around so I'm going to use that for a heat source and an old fridge for cooling when summer rolls around. It was so easy to do and I can't wait to brew a batch to really test it out. Anyone on the fence about putting one together, don't wait any longer!

Good for you! Wish I had a spare fridge laying around :eek:

im about to do the same, bidded on an old fridge on ebay. so when i pick that up i can start playing around! cant wait!

what have you done on the inside of the fridge for shelves?

I plan on using an existing shelf for bottle conditioning. Not sure just yet how I'll set up space for buckets. It's cold in my basement now so I might set up a small chamber just for heating temporarily. The fridge is a side by side so maaaaaybe the shelves will be strong enough to hold?

I plan on using an existing shelf for bottle conditioning. Not sure just yet how I'll set up space for buckets. It's cold in my basement now so I might set up a small chamber just for heating temporarily. The fridge is a side by side so maaaaaybe the shelves will be strong enough to hold?

I used to cold crash 5 gallon batches in my side by side fridge and the shelves held up fine. Obviously every fridge is different, but I had no issues.

I make a temp controller with a STC-1000.

It works !

101_1109.JPG

101_1110.jpg

101_1111.JPG

101_1113.JPG

101_1114.JPG

101_1115.jpg

IMAG2586_zpshxgsndox.jpg

Just finished mine. One for the kegerator and one for the fermentation chamber. The cost to build this double was cheaper than one single-stage Johnson controller.

I bought the cheaper Celsius units, so I made a conversion chart in excel to stick on there.

Nice looking units everybody. There was no way I was gonna pay for a Johnson controller. But when I found this unit I figured I had to give it a try. Very easy to wire up. I don't know if I'll need heat, but I bought a ceramic reptile bulb just in case. Craigslist is very much your friend for finding cheap fridges or chest freezers. Now I have to get my water dialed in.

Wow those look great - I've been thinking about temperature control but my options are kind of limited in my 1 bedroom apartment at the moment. I'm working with 3 gallon carboys so I wonder if I could get away with a mini fridge.

Back