STC-1000 cooling issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calico Jack

Reaction score
So I finally got this unit all wired up for cooling only. Hot wires at 1 and 7 pigtailed with my cord coming from plug. Neutral from plug to outlet and 2. 8 from STC-1000 to outlet. I only changed F1 to my desired setting, otherwise left everything at default. Plugged the unit in and my keezer fired on. Watched the temperature slowly drop to 4.5...and it kept going all the way to -20 C. And kept going. Freezer stayed on the entire time and didn't shut off when it got to 4C.

Thoughts on this?! I imagine the unit is defective, but wanted to see what others thought first. Thanks.

you could have it wired wrong. I don't have a unit in front of me or the time to look one up, but it sounds like you may have wired you outlet "always on" some how. I would definitely look over the wiring job before tossing in the towel.

Got any pictures?

No pics unfortunately.
"Always on" would explain it but i followed this exactly.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs[/ame]

I don't remember any failed new STC-1000's being mentioned on this site. I agree with the last post. It is very likely it is wired wrong. What is your probe attached to?

The unit is from probably 2011. Just got around to setting it up.

Probe is in coming out of posts 3 and 4 and sitting in a cup of water in the keezer.

I agree with the always-on hypothesis.

Remove it from the fridge set the temperature at a temp where it should be off, and check if it is still sending power to the outlet. That's how I figured out I had an always-on problem (I didn't remove the bridge between outlets).

I removed the bridge from the hot side (at least I remember doing so..i think). Holy moley this is driving me crazy. I will have to check again tonight that there is absolutely no brass bridge still left.

Pull the wires off the controller at 7 and 8. Make sure it's actually dropping the relay when it is supposed to be off with a multimeter Should read open when off and shorted when on. If it does the prob is in the wiring to the outlet

You should have had a delay between the time you plugged it in and when the cooling relay kicked in. The cooling light should have been flashing until the delay was up (can't remember what the default time is). If it comes on as soon as you plug in the stc-1000, you have an always hot wiring issue.

Back