Starting to plan coffin keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoss0984

Reaction score
I've been sitting on a chest freezer for the last few months trying to decide what kind of keezer I want to go with, simple collar or go with the more complex but typically more interesting looking coffin. I have decided to jump into the coffin design. Over the last week or so I have looked up almost every build on these forums to get an idea of what I'm getting my self into. There are some pretty amazing builds in this community! There is also a lot of information I have been trying to collect so i dont screw it up.
Things that I have noticed that seem to be common approach to these is make sure there is a gap around the freezer to allow air flow as to not overheat the freezer. Typically seeing people use 2x4 studs for the frame. Some leave the back open for added ventilation.
Airflow to the coffin seems to be the next priority, fan in and a fan out to circulate the air for best results. I'm guessing you just wire it to the power of the freezer? Or to its own power supply?
The one thing I cant pin down what the best course of action is with the lid itself. Do most people toss the OG lid and build from scratch( lumber with foam insulation and weather stripping? Or do you build around the OG and attach it to a wood top to give it a better seal? Obviously designing it so access to the kegs is essential, do you just use heavy duty hinges and lift the whole top up? There is also the condensation issues but I believe as long as you seal the top really well it should mitigate that (though if someone has any other good advice for this it would be much appreciated).
I havent seen much as far as best placement for the temp probes, I'm guessing center midway up to get the best average reading .
Overall exterior materials are just for looks so it doesnt really matter for functionality.

I am just getting this plan started so if anyone has any suggestions or if I'm off on any of this please let me know. Thanks!!

I've been sitting on a chest freezer for the last few months trying to decide what kind of keezer I want to go with, simple collar or go with the more complex but typically more interesting looking coffin. I have decided to jump into the coffin design. Over the last week or so I have looked up almost every build on these forums to get an idea of what I'm getting my self into. There are some pretty amazing builds in this community! There is also a lot of information I have been trying to collect so i dont screw it up.
Things that I have noticed that seem to be common approach to these is make sure there is a gap around the freezer to allow air flow as to not overheat the freezer. Typically seeing people use 2x4 studs for the frame. Some leave the back open for added ventilation.
Airflow to the coffin seems to be the next priority, fan in and a fan out to circulate the air for best results. I'm guessing you just wire it to the power of the freezer? Or to its own power supply?
The one thing I cant pin down what the best course of action is with the lid itself. Do most people toss the OG lid and build from scratch( lumber with foam insulation and weather stripping? Or do you build around the OG and attach it to a wood top to give it a better seal? Obviously designing it so access to the kegs is essential, do you just use heavy duty hinges and lift the whole top up? There is also the condensation issues but I believe as long as you seal the top really well it should mitigate that (though if someone has any other good advice for this it would be much appreciated).
I havent seen much as far as best placement for the temp probes, I'm guessing center midway up to get the best average reading .
Overall exterior materials are just for looks so it doesnt really matter for functionality.

I am just getting this plan started so if anyone has any suggestions or if I'm off on any of this please let me know. Thanks!!

When choosing your design, other things to think about is ease of getting to the the inside for replacing kegs and changing the settings on your regulators or dealing with drips.
Either design would benefit from casters of some sort. Ease of adding taps/kegs when you realize you want more. Where your CO2 is (inside or outside the keezer)
It’s gonna be a fun project
There are no wrong designs, just what works for you.
But one thing an architect once told me that I keep in mind. Even with unlimited funds, if you design your dream house, it takes 10 times before you get it perfect! LOL this seems to be the story of my life, no matter what I’m building
Cheers!

Access is my biggest concern as the coffin tops look heavy. Just have to make sure I use heavy duty hinges.

Should I toss the lid and make my own or attach the OG lid to the top, and if so how have people done that ?

I used the original lid and bolted plywood to the top. The lid ended up being incredibly heavy. I use a piece of wood to prop open the lid, and added a safety cable that keeps the lid from opening to far. Definitely build a rolling base, and keep the freezer as close to the ground as possible. After putting a collar on the freezer it makes it a little harder to access for changing kegs and cleaning. Adding a collar is only necessary if you want to be able to put kegs on top of the compressor hump. The stock hinges worked out just fine.

I used the original lid and bolted plywood to the top. The lid ended up being incredibly heavy. I use a piece of wood to prop open the lid, and added a safety cable that keeps the lid from opening to far. Definitely build a rolling base, and keep the freezer as close to the ground as possible. After putting a collar on the freezer it makes it a little harder to access for changing kegs and cleaning. Adding a collar is only necessary if you want to be able to put kegs on top of the compressor hump. The stock hinges worked out just fine.
Thank you for the info! I am not planning on adding a collar, I can get 4 kegs without the hump which should be fine for me. Safety chain is really smart, I'll have to thing about doing that! Was also thinking about finding shocks to help with the weight as well.

Was wondering how your coffin keezer turned out? pics? I’m in the planning stages right now and many of these threads have been a big help.

Latest posts

Back