Starting the siphon with your mouth, Dangerous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah it's a mexican homebrew store, so it's a little sparse, but I'll ask if he can get them, otherwise I'll get one the next time i go up to the states.

My hands were full one time and i was lazy and what i did was put my mouth inside my shirt and the tube on the outside and inhaled a tiny bit and voila! I dont know if this is a good idea but def use it instead of getting your bacterial saliva on the hose.

I don't know if it is any less dangerous, but i have a smaller piece of tubing that fits in the end of my siphon tube that I put my mouth on. As the beer get close to the the smaller tube, I pull the siphoning tube off the smaller one and drop the siphon tube into the bucket. I have had no problems doing this.

OK, here's a question,for those who may or may not have had this happen, IF the beer were to have been infected from this mistake/mishap, what could happen? how BAD might it taste? or is it going to affect the longevity/shelf life of the beer?

OK, here's a question,for those who may or may not have had this happen, IF the beer were to have been infected from this mistake/mishap, what could happen? how BAD might it taste? or is it going to affect the longevity/shelf life of the beer?

From what it sounds like in this thread, it seems no one is 100% sure if it even contaminates the beer, just common sense speculation (which makes TOTAL sense given bacteria is bacteria). A few claims of soured beer but that doesn't mean it was from the siphoning.

I came across this thread because I did this with my first two batches and no problems, but this last batch I just did I was a little careless and it splashed my mouth and fell in the bucket. :\ We'll see in a few weeks.

Siphoning with your mouth is a bad idea...I tried it with one of my first batches and ended up with a very plasticy off-flavor....It runs a very high risk of contaminating your beer and also oxidizing it, which are two things you don't want.
37.gif
23.gif
24.gif

The worst that could happen is that you start siphoning 5 gallons and .. oops, sucked a bit much, hey, this is pretty good.....

:tank: :drunk:

Next thing you know you wake up with a headache SEVEN YEARS LATER. :goat::rolleyes:

Back