Starting Specific Gravity is Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTbrewer

Reaction score
So I am brewed a double IPA as a mini-mash from a recipe today and the approximate gravity was supposed to be 1.088 and it ended up 1.062. Anything I can do to help raise it? I already pitched the yeast and put in the primary fermenter.

You said the recipe was a mini-mash. I'm assuming you used some LME or DME in the brew. I'd think that the malt extract and water were not sufficiently mixed when taking the gravity sample, but it would help if you posted a recipe. If you'd like, post the recipe and RDWHAHB.:mug:

What Mr Jass said. If you did a partial boil and topped up with water, that's it. Unless you didn't buy enough extract on accident, you can't get that low doing a mini-mash.

Did a brew today. The recipe says 1.050, Beer alchemy says 1.055, I got 1.047.

The ingredients were 2lbs crystal 40L and 0.5lbs flaked barley steeped for 30 min, then I added 3lbs of DME at 60 and 3.5lbs of LME at 15. (I only intended to add 3.3 but got a little extra at the store).

I *think* my boil started at around 13 quarts.

In my fermenter, I put 1 gal water, then the wort, then what probably looked like around 1.6 gal more water... shook and stirred it as much as I could. Measurement came out 1.044 and adjusted for temperature its about a 1.047 measurement.

I think I ended up with more than 5 gal in my fermenter though, it's a little above my non-scientifically measured 5 gal mark.

It's also possible that you didn't get all of the LME out of the containers; that's what happened with my first recipe and I had a low OG.

What craven said... I usually dunk my LME containers in the water, as the temperature is enough to kill any infections caused by manual handling.

:off:

Craven... I've seen many of your movies... did you have an inspiration?

I think I ended up with more than 5 gal in my fermenter though, it's a little above my non-scientifically measured 5 gal mark.

That can easily make your OG a little low.

I throw my LME tub in the sink and fill it with hot water when I start brewing. By the time I do my late extract addition, it's much thinner than it is at room temp. My daughter stirs while I use a spatula to get every bit out.

I also had/have a similar problem (maybe.) My first batch is an IPA, calling for 6.6 lbs Light LME and 1 lb 6 Row Crystal (40L) and my OG was 1.050. It's been bubbling along happily and slowed down yesterday - so today I got excited and took a reading and it was 1.010. Seems a little low?? Maybe?? I dunno, but the hydro reading sample tasted good.

Also - I'm adding 2 lbs honey for secondary - will this boost the ABV a noticeable amount??

Also - I'm adding 2 lbs honey for secondary - will this boost the ABV a noticeable amount??

Curious... why add it in the secondary, when you've taken the beer away from most of the yeast? Why not add it in the primary when active fermentation is starting to wind down.

Here's the recipe:

My double IPA partial mash had 2lbs 2-row, 1 lb Munich Malt, 1/4 lb. 20L Crystal malt.
I used 2 1/2 gallons to start and poured 1 1/2 quarts over it after 45 mins.

8 1/2 lbs. Extra Pale Extract (LME), 1 lb Corn Sugar I added in before the boil.

I filled my fermenter to just over 5 gallons and it came out to 1.062 instead of the 1.088.

I know the beer will still come out ok, but I am trying to figure out what I did.

Curious... why add it in the secondary, when you've taken the beer away from most of the yeast? Why not add it in the primary when active fermentation is starting to wind down.

Good idea, maybe I'll throw it in right now! I lurve this board.

UT, that's a pretty fair margin. Maybe someone with beer calc software can double check if the projected OG is on. If it is, did you do a partial boil, and then add top off water? If that's the case, it can be tough to get the wort mixed really well before you take your hydro sample, which is generally from the top, lighter portion of the wort. One indicator that this is the case is if your FG comes out pretty high, and it seems like you have attenuation levels that are way off of what you usually get.

Otherwise, it's possible that you didn't get all of your LME out of your containers.

I think I have an idea of what happened.
I didn't get my brew pot off of the heat fast enough and the temp spiked to about 20 degrees above the recommended temp when I put the grain in to soak.

Back